Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Catch 22

Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer _
PostSubject: Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 3:07 am

Hello, I'll start things off by stating my situation.

I'm currently 18, in High School, working a lot, and I plan on going to community college and getting my AA degree, then joining the Air Force and becoming an MP there, if possible.

I talked to my local PD about my activities and asked if it would hinder the process at any other departments. The Sgt. There told me "We're looking for honest men, not angels. However, I cannot speak for every department in the country. It all depends."

To expand:
I've smoked Marijuana about 30 times, I would estimate.

The gap between my past use and my application to the academy would be at least 4 years (2013-14), I would say more.

I've drank a good amount of alcohol, been drunk at least 6, maybe 7 times as a minor. (As you can tell I like/ed Marijuana better)

I've been in a relationship for two years, as a teen, that shows commitment I'm sure. Never cheated.

My girlfriend is 17 years old, while I am 18. Or activities are against the law.

I've pirated movies/music/games, don't know if this will come up, but I feel like a bit of a thief when I do.

I've eaten a few free meals from my place of work, however I am systematically secretly paying them back because I don't want the thievery under my belt. Its easy, I just put what I owed into the register of my own money.

Ive never done anything else that has negative connotation. I once took vikodin to "Get high", and I regret that. But that was once.
I really want to be an officer, and I am just curious, and have been dying to ask, how much will my above activities hinder my application at most PD's?
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 12:30 pm

It sounds like you already know this, but don't do ANYTHING illegal anymore! You don't have to have a perfect past, but the more perfect your past is, the less you will have to worry about. Your marijuana use and theft related issues are probably your biggest concerns. I know some officers that have smoked marijuana more than 30 times before they became police officers. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sal

PostSubject: Re: Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Many departments might still consider you in about five years.
Back to top Go down
Catch 22

PostSubject: Re: Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 5:40 am

Might? Why do you say that?

Is it mainly the marijuana use? I mean, I haven't done anything else bad in reality...
Back to top Go down
Sal

PostSubject: Re: Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 4:36 pm

I should have wrote that many departments would likely still consider you in about five years.
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 10:58 pm

As Sal said, many would consider you eventually. It depends on the department. I know of a couple of police departments that have a requirement that you not have used marijuana more than 25 times during the past 10 years. Your use of marijuana would permanently disqualify you with some departments. With some police departments, you could still qualify in about 5 years.
Back to top Go down
Catch_22

PostSubject: Re: Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 4:23 am

Hey sarge, thanks for answering. As I said above, I'm planning on joining the airforce and being done in 4 years, so that's 4 years of not smoking. Not quite 5. How much will my past mild use of marijuana really affect my chances? Is it really a deal breaker for some departments? Even with military experience? What would you say the chances are, for example, of your station accepting me?
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 1:40 pm

The amount of times that you said you've used marijuana would indeed be a deal breaker for some departments. My department wouldn't consider you unless there has been at least five years since you last smoked. My department does not specify a particular number of times. Keep a positive attitude, be honest, and do your best. There are police officers that have smoked more times than you before they became officers.
Back to top Go down
asdjkl

PostSubject: duh   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer EmptyMon May 11, 2009 7:55 pm

You make it sound like all that stuffs not on your record, if you haven't gotten in trouble, but just tried it, im suree your fine. But if they make you take a drug test, make sure all that marijuanna's out. You know that if they took a drug test using your hair, no matter how long ago it was you smoked pot, becuase of the fatty tissue and what not in the hair, there would be traces of it in there, so be careful, and don' t do it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer   Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer Empty

Back to top Go down

Marijuana Use/Other Illegal activities and Becoming a Police Officer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-