Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Advice help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vesper

Advice help _
PostSubject: Advice help   Advice help EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi everyone i got a few questions looking for some adive

Basically i made a big mistake a few weeks ago and got arrested for DUI(in southern California) I am 23 and have only had 1 other driving ticket in my life (had head phones on while driving) I have my AA degree and am corently working on my BA in Criminal Justice (about a year or so left) I have only smoked pot twice when i was 18 and have never touch any other kind of drug. I own my own high pressure cleaning business (2 years now) and i also have been working construction with the same company for 7 years. ALso no stealing a great family and for the most part great friends great credit very very good at talking to people.

With that information I was wounding how bad i hurt my chances to become a Cop? My court date is in a few weeks so i guess technical i have nothing on my record but i was drunk (.12 blood test) so i will have a DUI misdemeanor most likely. I was planing on becoming a cop after i get my BA will i be able to in a year? 2? 3? (ow and worst of all i lied to the cop about drinking)

also do you think i should get a public defender, pay a lawyer, or just plead guilty on my DUI charges?
Back to top Go down
Vesper

Advice help _
PostSubject: Re: Advice help   Advice help EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 8:13 pm

ugg excuse the bad spelling. Not the best typeset or speller
Back to top Go down

Advice help _
PostSubject: Re: Advice help   Advice help EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 8:13 pm

You screwed up! But you can still become a police officer. Maybe not as easily or as soon as you had hoped, but don't give up. You should pay a lawyer if you can. Make sure he or she handles a lot of DUIs in your area, and has a good reputation!
Back to top Go down
Sarge

Advice help _
PostSubject: Re: Advice help   Advice help EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 12:20 am

You will probably have to wait at least three years before you're hired, but you can eventually become a police officer. Some police departments in California would still consider hiring you if you have been convicted of a DUI within the last three years. In other words, your DUI wouldn't automatically disqualify you. According to what you wrote, and aside from your DUI arrest, you seem like a very good candidate.
Back to top Go down
Dave71

Advice help _
PostSubject: Re: Advice help   Advice help EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 12:45 pm

It depends on the department. I had a DUI 8 years ago. I've been a sheriff's deputy for almost a year.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Advice help _
PostSubject: Re: Advice help   Advice help EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 12:34 pm

DUI is serious, and obviously won't look good when trying to get hired by a department, but I know officers that have had DUIs before they became officers.
Back to top Go down
Retired

Advice help _
PostSubject: Re: Advice help   Advice help EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 6:41 am

You definitely hurt your chances. How much probably depends on what department you try to get hired with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice help _
PostSubject: Re: Advice help   Advice help Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-