Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Help wanted

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bucswin09

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Help wanted   Help wanted EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Hello everyone. Im new on this board and I have alot of questions to ask. This seems to be my best bet. Im currently a senior at my high school and I just applied to my college of choice. Im going to get my associates in Criminal Justice. Im pretty fit but im no body builder. I weigh about 150 and im 6'2 or so. I dont have bad credit or any tickets or crimes commited. I have had a major chest surgery a few years back and I dont know if that plays into hurting my chances as a police man or not. Do you think I have a chance to be a policeman or am I wasting my time?
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Re: Help wanted   Help wanted EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 10:37 pm

It depends. The surgery itself wouldn't likely hurt your chances. Obviously, you would have to pass the medical exam and fitness test a department requires.
Back to top Go down
bucswin09

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Re: Help wanted   Help wanted EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 8:22 am

Ok good i just wanted to know. I have another question. I was talking to two US Marshalls and they told me getting a degree in criminal justice doesnt really get you too far. Is there anything extra i should do to better my resume? I aso wanted to know alittle about the police academy process. Ive been researching this topic and cannot find any information. I just wanted to know how long does it take to complete and do I get to talk to my family during my time at the academy?
Back to top Go down
Badge101

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Re: Help wanted   Help wanted EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 2:20 pm

Any degree is better than no degree! Many fields of study are good for law enforcement officers. It's also not just getting a degree that matters. It is important to get good grades, participate in some things such as student government or sports, and to be known as a good person. Volunteer work looks good. Consider an trying to get an internship with a police department or other law enforcement agency. Follow all the advice at http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com Length of police academies vary. Many last approximately six months. Some academies are residential, and some are not. You would most likely be able to talk with your family during your time at the academy. You could have to wait a short time. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
bucswin09

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Re: Help wanted   Help wanted EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:28 am

Oh thats not so bad. Thanks for your help
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Re: Help wanted   Help wanted EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 10:10 am

Be committed, and give 110%. Good luck Exclamation
Back to top Go down
bucswin09

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Re: Help wanted   Help wanted EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 10:55 pm

I as commited as ever. My mother who is as worried as ever doesnt want me to do this but im pretty sure thats the same in most cases with other police men and woman. I think this is just the job for me. I have a few other questions. I live in Ohio but I dont plan on working in Ohio as an officer. Do I have to go through another training program? I know larger cities get paid more but I also know theres a higher cost of living. Is it the same livng in a larger city and a small city when you factor in cost of living? I just wanted to say that you all for your help. This has helped me greatly and you have all answered my questions so far. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Re: Help wanted   Help wanted EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:15 pm

If you go through a police academy in Ohio, and want to become a police officer in another state, then you would either have to go through another academy or receive a waiver if possible. It depends on the state and the department. Some smaller cities actually pay more than some larger cities.
Back to top Go down

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Re: Help wanted   Help wanted EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 12:47 pm

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help wanted _
PostSubject: Re: Help wanted   Help wanted Empty

Back to top Go down

Help wanted

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer