Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
John

Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background _
PostSubject: Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background   Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 5:36 am

Hi I am currently 18 years old and I am looking into college right now to get my bachelors in criminal justice. I have been doing a lot of reading on these forums and other places and there are a couple things in my past that I am a little worried about and wondering if this is the right career path for me. I have received 2 speeding tickets, 1 minor possession of alcohol, and a Minor consumption of alcohol and possession of small amounts of marijuana. All these charges were in my 11th and 12th grade years of high school. Before 11th grade i never even thought about using drugs or any substance to that matter. Then I got caught up with some friends toward the end of my 11th grade year and started smoking weed a couple times a week and i even made a few sales (only small amounts to my friends), but it didn't last long after i realized what a big mistake it was doing something like that. I did try cocaine and mushrooms sometime during this same time period and regret it very much to this day. Since graduating from high school I have stopped smoking weed and everything.

I then was looking into joining the Air force or some military branch but ended up getting a full time job for a while. I have been really thinking of becoming a police officer for a while now and my ultimate goal is to be a detective. I am now at the point where i need to make a decision on what i want to with my life weather it be perusing becoming a police officer or something else. Reading some other topics with similar cases as mine other people are saying in most cases i wont be accepted but are there things that i can do to still achieve this goal or should i really be looking for something in another direction (be honest here because i dont want to go through all this schooling just to be let down in the end.) Things like volunteer work, jr police programs, things that will show that i am committed to becoming a police officer. I do have some other interests in graphic arts and stuff like that so this is not my only opportunity and this is why i am asking you already sworn in officers if this is a wise move to make.

I only want your 100% honesty and you wont hurt my feelings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background   Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 7:41 am

Hi. I am not a police officer, however, based on the very limited knowledge I do have when it comes to backgrounds such as yours, it's often very standard.

To my knowledge, almost every police agency will automatically disqualify you for the use of hallucinogens. Aside from that, the selling of narcotics (felony) is probably going to be an auto-dq with probably every agency out there as well.

The tickets, alcohol violation and marijuana (if it was in the experimental range) are all things that I believe most agencies would have overlooked with the passage of some time and positives.

Sorry to say (you wanted honesty) I don't think a job as a law enforcement officer is realistic for you. Unfortunately some mistakes we make in the past stick with us, hopefully we learn from them and move on. My advice to you is to look for another career. However, maybe 10 years down the road, when you have a stable job, maybe a family, you can put in an application and see where it goes.

Please do not take my advice as a selling point for your future endeavors. I do not think you should base your aspirations and goals upon what people on a forum tell you. We can only dispel advice from knowledge (myself) or experience (a sworn LEO). If you still would like to apply, go ahead, the worst they can say is no.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background   Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 1:37 pm

hey thanks for the quick reply this is the kind of thing i was looking for so if anyone else has any more advice please feel free.
Back to top Go down
MIKEE

PostSubject: Re: Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background   Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 am

It is possible that you become a police officer at some point, but from what you wrote, most departments, if they considered you, probably wouldn't hire you for a number of years. Can't hurt to try though!
Back to top Go down
Lt

PostSubject: Re: Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background   Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 4:53 pm

My department wouldn't hire you. I commend you for straightening out though!
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background   Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yeah i think i may start out going to college for something else for now then in 10 years from now, give it another shot because i still do want to become a police officer some day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background   Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 12:45 pm

Anything is possible. Give it a try. You are young. Even if you don't get into law enforcement until you are 30 or older, that's no probblem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background   Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background Empty

Back to top Go down

Wondering if I should pursue being a police officer with my background

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-