Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Becoming a Police Officer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
emilystarr373

Becoming a Police Officer _
PostSubject: Becoming a Police Officer   Becoming a Police Officer EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 1:03 am

Sorry this is so long I'm trying to get it all out there! I have some questions on becoming a police officer and about my past.

My Personal Details: I am female, 21 years old, just over 5'6" tall, 130 pounds, I wear glasses but my eyesight isn't horrible. I am and always have been athletic. I have a high school diploma, I just received my Associate in Arts last semester. I'm married, we bought a house in December, I have good credit. I have a good work history.

My Questions:

1. What should I do first other than finish up my 4 year degree? Do I contact the different departments in my area?

2. I have never used drugs, I did do silly things when I was younger like drink under age (never caught), downloaded music (never caught), I did steal a few times when I was young nothing over $50.00 (never caught and don't do any more!) I have 2 speeding tickets, one of them I took a class on and passed it was 74 in a 55 it's been a couple years since I got them. Will any of this hurt me?

3. I volunteered at my local fire department for a little over a year but we moved so I had to stop. Should I mention this and will it help me?

4. Do I need to get accepted by a PD to go to the NC Basic Law Enforcement Training Program or can I apply without being in a department?

5. Can you give me kind of easy breakdown on the steps to becoming a police officer. Ex: Degree, Apply to PD, do background test, pass physical exam..? Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Becoming a Police Officer   Becoming a Police Officer EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 6:37 pm

You should visit the websites of the police departments that you are interested in. Police department websites often provide information about their hiring process. Check out http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com/become-a-police-officer.html for some great information. I would also suggest visiting the Garner Police Department's website for a North Carolina specific example. From what you wrote, I would be most concerned about the thefts. How many times you stole, what you stole, and when the last time you stole would be considered.
Back to top Go down
JD

PostSubject: Re: Becoming a Police Officer   Becoming a Police Officer EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 12:40 pm

Your background doesn't seem too bad.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: Becoming a Police Officer   Becoming a Police Officer EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 5:36 pm

What Sarge said!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Becoming a Police Officer   Becoming a Police Officer Empty

Back to top Go down

Becoming a Police Officer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-