Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cal

Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop _
PostSubject: Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop   Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 12:43 am

I'm a 17 year old senior in high school who doesn't have a criminal record. I have only used one drug as many high school kids have and thats pot. I've used it about 10 times (est.), not abused it, not addicted whatsoever, just been around the wrong kids and have since then steered away from them. I have used alcohol also but not more than 5 times.

My grades have been about a B average throughout high school. I have been a 2-sport athlete all through high school, making 1st team all county last year for baseball. I seem to have a good reputation among my teachers and friends. I love helping people, if anyone has any problems I like solving or helping by giving advice.

I have had a very successful job for the past 4 years. I'm very reliable at the job, many employees rely on me.

-The only things that I can think of that would harm my chances are the pot, and a speeding ticket I got that was 89 in a 55. I'm 6'4 and 195 pounds.

My question is, what are my chances?
What's this big "lie detector test" you take all about?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop   Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Although the pot smoking and drinking certainly won't help you, you sound like you might be a good candidate after college. Based on what you wrote, your chances would probably be good with some departments in 3-5 years. If your not, you should think about attending college and getting a degree! That will allow some time to pass since you've used marijuana, and the degree will make you much more sought after! Try not to get any more tickets. They can add up! The lie detector test causes many candidates to not get hired. If you put on your application and tell the polygraph examiner that you've only used marijuana about 10 times to the best of you knowledge, but you know that you've used it more than that, you will likely not pass the test! Good luck! Make good decisions!
Back to top Go down
V22

PostSubject: Re: Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop   Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Your history isn't too bad. But make sure you're honest. The poly will knock you out if you aren't Exclamation It is designed to gauge your truthfullness from your applications, and to uncover any areas of concern such as if you've committed serious crimes or abuse drugs, etc.
Back to top Go down
Cal

PostSubject: Re: Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop   Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:42 pm

thanks for your replies. I am most certainly going to attend college and receive a degree, however not to sure as to what it will be. I'm verbally committed to a college on a partial scholarship for baseball (does that look better for me?). but anyways thanks again for the replies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop   Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop Empty

Back to top Go down

Maryland---Got a question and needs advice from a cop

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-