Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Odom8485

Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions _
PostSubject: Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions   Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 am

First off thanks to whoever started/runs this site, it's very informative, and is quite helpfull with my current situation!

I was in the military (up until July of this year) for six years. I was in Biloxi, MS in 2004 and I recieved a DUI conviction there (Pled Guilty), That was now roughly 5 years ago, is Texas the law states that you cannot become a Peace Officer with a DUI conviction on your record with in the past 10yrs. This would not be a problem had I of recieved the DUI in Texas, because in Texas after 5yrs you can have it removed from your record, but in MS this isnt the case. So after trying from Germany (before I was honorably disscharged from the military) and being turned down because of my DUI charge I am going to college, majoring in Psychology, with a minor in Criminal Justice, and hoping this would be a good degree for law enforcement.

One of the questions I'm asking is, is that a good degree for Law Enforcement? Also I would like to know, is there another job that I can get in the mean time, while I am in college that would keep me in a similar field so that when I do go and try to get a job with the Houston Police Dept, I havent been completely out of a law enforcement related/DoD type of career?

Any help would be greatly appreciated I dont wanna stay out of that type of job long, it's what I love, and bit of a passion for me. Does anyone know if maybe border patrol has different rules for getting in? Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated (even ideas/comments not concerning border patrol, just any related field in general would be great!)
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions   Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 2:16 pm

If you are at all interested in computers, I would suggest choosing a computer related field as a major or minor. However, psychology is also a good major to choose for law enforcement. You could think about a security officer job. Also, as you probably already know, the military employs civilian (federal employees 0085's and contractor) security guards and offers other security related jobs at many of their installations. Of course, I don't know how close you are to an installation. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Craig

PostSubject: Re: Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions   Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:21 pm

I think the Border Patrol would hire you. I would apply!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions   Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Houston, Texas - Eligability Questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-