Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Help Laying Out my Path

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rsjones

Help Laying Out my Path _
PostSubject: Help Laying Out my Path   Help Laying Out my Path EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi,

Let me give you a little background information before I ask my questions.

I'm 17 years and i'm a senior in High school this year. After I graduate high school I will be going to the Navy where i've already being accepted to become a Master at Arms (Navy's version of Military Police). I'm in a 8 year contract with the navy, 4 years reserve and 4 active years. I want to get my bachelors degree in Criminal Justice Criminology while I serve in the Navy. I want to become a police officer either while in reserves or after i'm done with the navy. I live in Oklahoma right now but I want to become a officer out of state, i've been thinking like Salt Lake City, Albuquerque or another medium size city like those two.

Record wise i'm squeaky clean not even a traffic ticket (yet).

Now to my questions:
-Is it difficult to get an officer job out of your home state? Like a sort of hometown favortism?
-Would it be possible for me to still be in the navy but go after an officer job atleast during my reserve time? (if so would the deparment be willing to work with me schedule wise?)
-Has anyone here actually went through the navy (or any branch) and got into a officer job? If so do you have any advice for me?
-Can anyone lay some more ground work to my plan that i laid out earlier? Anything else I should consider?
-Is Criminology the right way to go in terms of the bachelors degree that I should pursue?

I'm also interested in a Sheriff or a state officer job, but i'm not quite sure how that works.

-Would an county sheriff (example: Tulsa County Sheriff) be considered a state officer or a local officer?
-What are the key differences between a local officer and county sheriffs or a state officer?
-Is it possible to try directly for a Sheriff job or would you have to work your way up through a local police job?

Thanks for taking the time and helping me out here.

One more question just to see if anyone can help me with, (Its okay if no one knows):
-My recruiter told me I can work on my college degree while in active duty as well as in reserve. How does this process work? Do you just attend classes on board or on shore? Does the degree come from the Navy itself? In short I just dont see how the process works at all.
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Help Laying Out my Path   Help Laying Out my Path EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 2:43 pm

1. No, if you are qualified, you will have the same chance as someone from the state the department is in. This could be a concern with very small departments.

2. There are many police officers that are also in the reserves. The departments will work around your schedule.

3. Many police officers are veterans.

4. Consider a computer related major or minor.

Based on what you wrote, you seem like you will make an excellent candidate. You seem to be doing well! Good luck! Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
Lt

PostSubject: Re: Help Laying Out my Path   Help Laying Out my Path EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:55 pm

You have an excellent plan. Stick with it. You can attend classes while in the Navy. You can take many online classes. Online classes can be great.
Back to top Go down
rsjones

PostSubject: Re: Help Laying Out my Path   Help Laying Out my Path EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 12:00 am

Thank you for your help guys. Online classes is something I never really thought of and something that really sounds good. I really want to get my bachelors as quickly as possible and especially while I'm still in the navy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Laying Out my Path   Help Laying Out my Path Empty

Back to top Go down

Help Laying Out my Path

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-