Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

My background

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
02crf450

My background _
PostSubject: My background   My background EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 4:16 am

I am 18 years old, graduated high school last year and am currently perusing my Associates Degree in criminal justice at a local community college in Michigan. I played football and basketball in high school so I am relatively physically fit and could pass the MCOLES requirements. I have a few questions about what to do and about my background.

Background

When I was in 8th grade I was caught steeling from cars but was never charged with anything and nothing was ever put on my record.

I have drank alcohol before and smoked weed no more than 5 times.

And I have bought alcohol before.

I know being honest is a huge thing but I am wondering why, if they will never know I have drank before or bought alcohol why tell them? I understand the smoking could possible come up in a drug test but it has been over a year since I last smoked and will be another two years until I am done with school, then the police academy. Will these things hold me back from being a from becoming a cop

What to do?

I plan on finishing school and going to the police academy. Is this the right thing to do or should I go to school then try to find a police officer job then go to the police academy.

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Sarge

My background _
PostSubject: Re: My background   My background EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 1:04 pm

The fact that you were not charged is a good thing. However, an agency would likely consider how many times you have stolen from cars (or stolen at all), what you stole, and how long it has been since you've stolen anything. Obviously, the fewer number of times you've stolen anything, the better, and the longer it has been, the better.

Don't drink alcohol again until you are 21. Don't smoke any more marijuana, and don't do anything else that is illegal!

I would suggest continuing college after you earn your two year degree. Earn a four year degree! It will make your application better, and put more time between your indiscretions and when you apply for the police academy or with police departments.

I would focus on your education, and then apply to some larger police departments that would send you to the police academy.
Back to top Go down
02crf450

My background _
PostSubject: Re: My background   My background EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks a lot for the help sarge, i was only caught steeling that one time and didnt do it after
Back to top Go down
SWAT

My background _
PostSubject: Re: My background   My background EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Caught once! But you might have to worry about how many times you actually stole!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My background _
PostSubject: Re: My background   My background Empty

Back to top Go down

My background

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-