Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Few questions on becoming a cop

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RBrandon

Few questions on becoming a cop _
PostSubject: Few questions on becoming a cop   Few questions on becoming a cop EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Right now I am 18 years old and getting ready to start college to pursue a Bachelors in Criminal Justice. Most of my life I have aspired to become a police officer, but I've been having second thoughts lately.

With jobs becoming seemingly scarce, I was just wondering - how hard is it actually to become a police officer? What happens if you get rejected, what else would a degree in Criminal Justice lead me to?

Like I said, I've always wanted to become an officer and I love helping people. I'm positive I can pass all the tests - I played football almost all my life and tried somewhat hard in school. Call me crazy, but I just feel like I was born to do this line of work and I'm not quite sure what to do if I'm for some reason denied.

Also, how much of a difference does job experience make when applying to join a local police department? I've only had 1 job my entire life and I'm hoping that wouldn't effect much.
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Few questions on becoming a cop   Few questions on becoming a cop EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 4:56 pm

At the moment, there are still many police departments struggling to find qualified people. If the economy gets worse, getting a job as a police officer (or any job) will likely become more difficult.

You should try to find out for yourself whether becoming a police officer is truly something you want to do. If you haven't see if you can do a ride-along program with a department in your area. I suggest that you consider another major. Criminal justice is a good idea, but there are many other good degrees for future police officers.

There are other jobs that a criminal justice degree would be good for such as security work, victim advocate work, corrections, other areas of the legal profession, etc.

Having only had one job wouldn't negatively affect you unless you have a negative history with that employer. Then it certainly could. Work history is something that almost anyone can improve if they want to.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
RBrandon

PostSubject: Re: Few questions on becoming a cop   Few questions on becoming a cop EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Hey Sarge, thanks for the response and I truly appreciate your input. I will definitely look into the ride-along program if they offer one.

I do find myself extremely dedicated into becoming an officer, but I'm just trying to make sure I have a back-up plan if, for whatever reason I'm unable to become one.

What other major would you recommend? I was considering Psychology just because it seems to open up a lot of career options.
Back to top Go down
SWAT

PostSubject: Re: Few questions on becoming a cop   Few questions on becoming a cop EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 8:15 pm

I could be wrong but it seems that you are worried about something in your background? Psych is good!
Back to top Go down
RBrandon

PostSubject: Re: Few questions on becoming a cop   Few questions on becoming a cop EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 9:15 pm

I'm not too worried about my background. I have smoked weed once when I was 16, but other then that I am honestly clean. I enjoy helping people and I volunteer regularly at a retirement home near where I live.

I'm just somewhat worried about the actual demand for police officers. Since I was about 12 and our class took a trip to the police department (Broward Sheriffs Office in Florida), I became really interested in the police line of work. I always saw myself majoring in Criminal Justice and becoming a police officer, or maybe down the line an FBI agent.

I've been thinking about taking another language as well (already took 3 years of Spanish and am quite fluent in it), just to make myself stand out more. I'm just worried about getting denied for whatever reason (maybe they're not hiring), and ending up with no other options. What happens if you were to get denied a job? Do you wait a few months and re-apply or move your entire life to another county? I've always seen myself working at BSO.

Also, would you recommend Psych over Criminal Justice?

Thanks again for all the help guys, really appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Peanut

PostSubject: Re: Few questions on becoming a cop   Few questions on becoming a cop EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 1:42 pm

You shouldn't have any problems. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Few questions on becoming a cop   Few questions on becoming a cop Empty

Back to top Go down

Few questions on becoming a cop

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-