Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Getting started

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bahaman

Getting started _
PostSubject: Getting started   Getting started EmptyWed Sep 16, 2009 6:08 pm

I just graduated in June of 09 from high school, with honors, at the age of 17.

I am now 18, with three speeding tickets, but have never even touched any drugs, or alcohol.

My plan as of now, is to get my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice, and work on getting some sort of job doing security somewhere. During that time, I will work on m Bachelors in Psychology, minoring in Criminal Justice, or possibly Computer Science.

Knowing that, I have a few questions.

1. After reading many posts here, it seems people with even worse driving/criminal records than me have a chance of getting a job, so mine should be good. Right?

2. Is the Police Academy really that big of a deal anymore? Haven't most departments turned more toward you actually riding along with a Sheriff for a week or two, in place of the academy?

3. Would something other than Psychology be better for a major? Psychology has always interested me, and seems like it would go hand in hand with being a police officer. Which has really been my dream all my life.

4. In order to get a position on SWAT, or as a K9 Unit, and other things similar, you have to have a few years experience in the field. Right? It's not like taking a whole different career path?

Thanks for all the help.
Back to top Go down
Sarge

Getting started _
PostSubject: Re: Getting started   Getting started EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 7:32 am

1. Right.
2. The police academy is very important. So is a good field training program.
3. Psychology is a good major to choose.
4. Right.

Good luck! Drive safe!
Back to top Go down
AR

Getting started _
PostSubject: Re: Getting started   Getting started EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Sounds good so far Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Getting started _
PostSubject: Re: Getting started   Getting started Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting started

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-