Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
air_nith

Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried. _
PostSubject: Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried.   Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried. EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 6:08 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm 15, but I believe I have decided what I want to do for a career in the future. I've wanted to be a lot of different things in the past, but this one just feels like it's the one to choose, and that's to become a police officer. I know I still have quite a few years to think about it and make sure it's what I really want to be, but I have some questions about some past criminal activity I used to be involved with and how it would affect my chances of becoming a police officer.

I've never committed a felony, I've never even had to go to court, pretty much everything I've done was just a slap on the wrist.

My first crime was shoplifting, about 9 years of age. I was with a friend who pressured me into stealing some knives with him from a local store.. we did, and it was a horrible idea. After we stole them, we went back to my house and felt horrible about it. We decided to go back about 30 minutes after we stole the items, and return them. So we did, and sure enough they called the police. The store did not press charges, and the police officer just told us why we shouldn't and don't want to get in a life of crime. My second offense was in 8th grade. Shoplifting again (and for sure the last), different store, different friend. This time the store pressed charges, but we only had to attend a shoplifting class instead of going to court, so it wouldn't be placed on our permanent record. Third offense, 8th grade again, but this time my girlfriend at the time wanted alcohol for a party, so sure enough I got it for her. She got busted with it and told the police I gave it to her, so I had to go to an alcoholism class for teenagers that were involved with alcohol and got caught using or providing. Fourth offense, was in 9th grade. I was at the park across from our school with some friends (that I use to hangout with at the time), we were all smoking a cigarette, and while we were, an undercover police officer who is also our school resource officer pulled up. He only saw me smoking, so he searched only me. He found a marijuana pipe on me, and charged me with possession of drug pharaphernalia, and possession of tobacco under 18. I had to take a 3 month class for that, and tested clean every time they dropped us.

When i was in 7th - 9th grade, I was heavily into smoking marijuana. I would smoke it practically everyday. I grew up, realized it wasn't worth it, and haven't touched it since.

How bad is all this stuff going to affect my chances of becoming a police officer? Thank you for all responses, they are greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried.   Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 4:42 pm

Your bad decisions could hold you back. You will have to work hard to prove yourself. Any more missteps will cost you! If you've made up your mind to make good decisions with no latitude whatsoever, you could redeem yourself. You could have to work and wait longer than you would like, but you could still have a chance eventually! Along with other things, finish high school with A's, improve your image from that of a pot head, go to, and excel at college.
Back to top Go down
Lt

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried.   Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried. EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 pm

Your excessive use of marijuana would disqualify you with my department.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried.   Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried. Empty

Back to top Go down

Wanting to be a police officer, but I'm worried.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-