Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Aspects of a Typical Police Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bbhoang

bbhoang

Aspects of a Typical Police Day _
PostSubject: Aspects of a Typical Police Day   Aspects of a Typical Police Day EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:55 am

Hi. I'm a third year Criminology undergraduate student at University of California Irvine (UCI). I notice that most of the posts here on this forum deals with eligibility for police recruitment; however, I have not seen a lot questions regarding police work itself. I live in the Orange County area of Caifornia, and the crime rate here is fairly high, so as a police patrolman, what kind of things should I expect while being on the beat? And how would my work be different if I were to specialize in other units like gang unit or narcotics, for example? Lastly, if by some luck I move up the hierarchal ladder in the police department and become a sergeant, what new duties would I have to carry out and would they be more related to adminstrative work?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Aspects of a Typical Police Day   Aspects of a Typical Police Day EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 1:28 pm

I can't speak specifically about Orange County, FL, but generally speaking, one of the nice things about being a police officer is that you usually don't know what you will be doing most days. While working as a patrol officer, you should expect practically anything. Reports of thefts, vandalism, domestic disputes, and drug use are common. When not responding to calls or on an assignment, patrol officers should patrol their assigned areas in an attempt to deter crime, promote a feeling of safety, and detect suspicious activity and crime, etc. Patrol officers are constantly looking for people in need of assistance, and opportunities to interact with the community in positive ways. Traffic stops are great ways to keep streets safe, arrest bad guys, and do a little PR with the community when the officer conducts him or herself professionally and uses good discretion as to whether to issue a citation or warning. As a patrolman, your duties can vary greatly!

If you are assigned to a unit such as a narcotics unit or an anti-gang unit, then your duties would be focused mainly on enforcing laws pertaining to such and ridding the community of problems related to such. You might be doing undercover work, surveillance work, intelligence work, and/or tactical work. Some patrol officers work regular patrol while focusing primarily on drug law enforcement or assisting with gang investigations, etc.

As a sergeant, you have more responsibility. Depending on where you work, you are likely to still patrol. You would indeed have more administrative duties than a patrolman. As a sergeant, one of your primary duties is to make sure that your officers are taken care of, and to make sure that they do their best and do what they are supposed to do as patrol officers.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
SWAT

PostSubject: Re: Aspects of a Typical Police Day   Aspects of a Typical Police Day EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm

That's it in a nutshell!
Back to top Go down
Landon

PostSubject: Re: Aspects of a Typical Police Day   Aspects of a Typical Police Day EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 pm

The best part of my job is that no two days are ever the same!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aspects of a Typical Police Day   Aspects of a Typical Police Day Empty

Back to top Go down

Aspects of a Typical Police Day

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-