Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Small Department or Large Department?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MartinY

Small Department or Large Department? _
PostSubject: Small Department or Large Department?   Small Department or Large Department? EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:18 pm

I live in Ohio. I put myself through the police academy. I might be able to get hired on with a small department in my area. Aside from any differences in pay and maybe more opportunity for promotions, are there any major differences or benefits to working in a large department? Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Small Department or Large Department?   Small Department or Large Department? EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Like you wrote, pay is probably different. Although many small police departments pay more than larger police departments. Promotion potential is a big difference. There will naturally always be more promotion potential in larger police departments. Other issues such as better or newer equipment, training opportunities, etc. also depend on the department. Some smaller departments have better or newer equipment than some larger departments. Some smaller departments pay their officers to go to more training than some larger departments and vice-versa. Depending, your duties could be more vaired in a smaller department. For example, in a larger department, the first responding officer might just take a preliminary report on an incident, and if the incident is somewhat serious, detectives might handle any follow-up investigation. In a smaller department, the first responding officer might also be responsible for follow-up investigations, etc. The same might hold true for collecting and processing evidence, etc. Whether it is better to work for a smaller police department or a larger police department depends on the individual department, but also on your personal preferences.
Back to top Go down
AJK

PostSubject: Re: Small Department or Large Department?   Small Department or Large Department? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 4:01 pm

Get the job with the small department. Do well, and later if you decide you want to try to move to a larger department, do so. My advice is if you can get a job, get it Exclamation
Back to top Go down
BigD

PostSubject: Re: Small Department or Large Department?   Small Department or Large Department? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:48 am

I've worked for a small department my entire career. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small Department or Large Department?   Small Department or Large Department? Empty

Back to top Go down

Small Department or Large Department?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-