Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

South African application

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Random

South African application _
PostSubject: South African application   South African application EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 10:05 am

Hello,

I am a 27 year old male from South Africa. I also hold a Greek passport, so that would make me a European Union citizen.

I have a four year degree and 3 years working experience in IT Audit work. A dream of mine has always been to be a police officer but being a South African national, this is just not possible. As you all know, South Africa, specifically Johannesburg where I live is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Police suicides are increasing and it is a thankless underpaying job (you start off on $300 a month).

Now my question is this, I know I would need to be a US citizen to have any chance at succeeding in my application but how do I become a citizen? Is there no way to join a force and work towards citizenship or a green card?

Any information would be helpful.
Back to top Go down
TYoung

PostSubject: Re: South African application   South African application EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 5:24 pm

The LAPD will hire non-citizens if they are permanent residents and they have applied to become citizens. You could always marry an American citizen Laughing
Back to top Go down
Romey

PostSubject: Re: South African application   South African application EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Here's a couple possibilities to consider from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Many people become permanent residents through a job or offer of employment. Some categories require a certification from the U.S. Department of Labor to show that there are not enough U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available in the geographic area where the immigrant is to be employed and that no American workers are displaced by foreign workers. In other cases, highly skilled workers, those with extraordinary ability in certain professions, and investors/entrepreneurs are given priority to immigrate through several immigrant categories. In all cases, the process involves several steps.

The main ways to immigrate based on a job offer or employment are listed below. For more information on the categories below, see the links to the left under “Green Card Through a Job.”

You may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification and then file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you.

There is also the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program. It makes 50,000 diversity visas available annually, drawn from random selection among entries of individuals who are from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
How To Get a Diversity Visa

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) holds a lottery each year to determine who gets one of the 50,000 diversity visas available. You must apply through DOS during the online entry registration period, which typically runs from October through December of each year. Diversity visa lottery winners are notified by mail and, if they qualify, are granted a visa. You cannot enter the diversity visa lottery through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

For more information on obtaining a diversity visa, see the “U.S. Department of State: Entering Diversity Lottery” and “U.S. Department of State: How Do I Participate in the Diversity Lottery Program” links to the right.

Note: Citizens of some countries are not eligible to apply for the diversity lottery.

These are options that might be worth looking into!
Back to top Go down
Mike

PostSubject: Re: South African application   South African application EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Marry a hot American girl!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: South African application   South African application Empty

Back to top Go down

South African application

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-