Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Should I become an MP?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hunter

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Should I become an MP?   Should I become an MP? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 3:21 am

I'm 17 and I want to become a police officer with a big or medium city police department. I don't want to go to college unless I really have to. I'm thinking about joining the Army to be an MP. Is this a good idea or will it not help me that much? I know it is a big commitment. My mom is really against me joining the Army.
Back to top Go down
John

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Re: Should I become an MP?   Should I become an MP? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 6:19 am

I have 2 friends that are military police. They both like it very much, and seem to be very proud of it. I think it would help you. I was in the Army for 4 years, but not military police.
Back to top Go down
Dirk

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Re: Should I become an MP?   Should I become an MP? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 2:08 pm

I was an MP years ago. I had a pretty good gig. I was stationed in Germany for most of my enlistment. I say go for it!
Back to top Go down
ReconnRo

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: MP   Should I become an MP? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 9:04 pm

My last job for the Army was teaching the MP School,,, I hate to say it but a lot of civilian PD's don't really count MP's as experience,,, I know the Army needs MP's as there is a shortage,,, whatever you decide good luck to ya
Back to top Go down
EscobarJ

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Re: Should I become an MP?   Should I become an MP? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 6:31 am

As mentioned above a lot of law enforcement agencies do not count MP as experience because MP and civilian law enforcement are pretty different. If you become an MP escpecially now you WILL be here in afghanistan at least twice in a five year enlistment. Down here in Afghanistan we try and focus on training ANP (afghan police) but a lot of times we help out infantry and cav scouts. With all the fighting going on we tend to just be infantry out here. If you are looking for an altenartive to being a police officer this really isn't the time to be an MP. We are more combat oriented now. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Hunter

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Re: Should I become an MP?   Should I become an MP? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the info.

What about Air Force Security Forces? Are they any different? If so, in what ways?
Back to top Go down
bigrichs

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Air Force Security Forces   Should I become an MP? EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 1:12 am

Hunter

I have been USAF Security Forces for 12 years. There is not much difference between MPs of the different branches as far as the law enforcement aspect goes. The big difference between the USAF and all the other branches is that the USAF also trains you on air base defense and resource protection. Resource protection includes: high priority aircraft and facilities, dignitarys, and, in some cases, nuclear weapons. In recent years, we have taken on some of the same duties as the Army. Going "outside the wire" and other such missions in Iraq and Afghanistan have become commonplace. This is USAF Security Forces in a nutshell. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Back to top Go down
Army10

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Re: Should I become an MP?   Should I become an MP? EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Being an MP can be an awesome job depending on where you are stationed Exclamation
Back to top Go down
IVAN

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Re: Should I become an MP?   Should I become an MP? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 12:38 pm

I was an MP in Germany back in the late 80s. I liked it. It gave me some actual law enforcement experience. We did actual patrol work mostly.
Back to top Go down
B207

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Re: Should I become an MP?   Should I become an MP? EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 2:35 pm

If you're not going to go to college, you should join the military Exclamation There is too much competition out there that have college degrees. You want something that gives you a step up on the competition Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Should I become an MP? _
PostSubject: Re: Should I become an MP?   Should I become an MP? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I become an MP?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-