Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Transition from EMS to police work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Medic83

Transition from EMS to police work? _
PostSubject: Transition from EMS to police work?   Transition from EMS to police work? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Hello all, I am currently licensed EMT and have been working on an ambulance for 4 years. I also recently finished paramedic school however have not obtained my paramedic license yet. I've always had an interest in becoming a police officer, I even was a police explorer in high school. So my questions are:
1. Would having experience in EMS be a good thing? I realize its not police experience but its experience with the public in a public safety job...
2. The background checks and interviewing process sounds extensive, any idea on about how long it can take? Like months...years?

I live in St. Louis and looking at St. Louis County PD. Any advice is MUCH appreciated in what I might need to do to help get into this career.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
SWAT

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   Transition from EMS to police work? EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 12:08 am

Having experience in EMS is most definitely a good thing! It can come in very handy! The background checks and such can take about 6 months.
Back to top Go down
JJ

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   Transition from EMS to police work? EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 1:53 pm

BEING AN EMT WILL HELP!
Back to top Go down
T27

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   Transition from EMS to police work? EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 2:21 am

Being an EMT or paramedic would be a big advantage. There have been many calls I've been on where having an EMT or paramedic on scene faster would have been a big help! Being an EMT, or even better, a paramedic, will make you more valuable as a police officer! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
PoliceMA

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   Transition from EMS to police work? EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 9:48 pm

I was an EMT before I became a cop. It has helped me on numerous occasions! I have to admit, I enjoy doing police work a heck of a lot more! But it is nice to have the background:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   Transition from EMS to police work? Empty

Back to top Go down

Transition from EMS to police work?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-