Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Razr89a

Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired? _
PostSubject: Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?   Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 11:33 pm

Transfer from my Yahoo! Answers question -

I'm in the process of becoming a police officer. I know that a dishonorable discharge disqualifies you from almost all jobs, but I was given an Uncharacterized, because I had only been in for a little over a month. My DD214 says "Failed Medical/Physical/ Procurement Standards" I was discharged with a Chapter 5-11 (Medical/Physical/Mental). One of the Sergeants at the base told me that I didn't have to volunteer the information, but does that mean with employees too? You go before a board of members who question you before becoming a police officer, and the question "tell me about yourself" means that I have to explain I was discharged, but I don't want them to ask "why were you discharged." It's just one of those things that I don't like to tell people. It was something stupid, but I know in my mind it won't happen again... Now obviously I'm not going to tell you guys why, but from what I gave you, do you think you could answer my question?

Also, I was eligible to re-enlist if I wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?   Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired? EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 12:20 am

I know my department requires veterans to have an honorable discharge in order to be hired. Good luck though!
Back to top Go down
Razr89a

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?   Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired? EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 12:24 am

Well it's a ELS (Entry-Level-Separation). "I didn't have enough time to adequately measure this person's conduct and performance" is essentially what it means.

An ELS is not honorable, it's not general, it's not anything.

his is often done in cases of misconduct, or failure to meet or maintain standards. Usually, someone with an ELS has not been in the military long enough to qualify for most veteran benefits.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?   Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired? EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 2:30 pm

I wouldn't worry about the "tell me about yourself" question. You could simply not mention your military experience at that time unless specifically asked. You would have to acknowledge that you enlisted on your application or when filling out your background packet, and you would have to explain your situation. You might find a department that would hire you, but your ELS would raise a big red flag!
Back to top Go down
Razr89a

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?   Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired? EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Thank you, I wish it wouldn't raise a "big red flag." I'm going to do everything in my power to make myself stand out from the rest!

-Criminal Justice Degree-
-Security Guard Background- (current job)
-Knows Spanish-

What else?
Back to top Go down
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?   Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired? EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 4:38 pm

If it has been a few years since, apply with a police department or two, and see what they tell you. If you don't get hired, give it some more time (years) then apply with another department.
Back to top Go down
ArmySTRO

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?   Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired? EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:54 pm

If I were you, I would re-enlist! That could solve your problem!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?   Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do I have to explain my discharge (Army) before I get hired?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-