Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Drug use History and Law Enforcement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Drug use History and Law Enforcement _
PostSubject: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyTue May 11, 2010 2:08 am

Hello,

When i was a teenager i experimented with a few different drugs while my parents were getting divorced. I did smoke marijuana on a regular basis for a short time. On some applications they ask if you have ever "sold" drugs. I was not a dug dealer but a few times when i had marijuana i did have friends who purchased it from me. ( maybe 3 or 4 "transactions" ) I never made any money and i was not trying to be a "dealer" . I have no Criminal record and i am 23 years old. I have since gone to a Bible internship for 3 years and i am married to my wife that i met there. I want to be a police officer, but i am hesitant because of my past.

Summary
Will experimental drug usage other than marijuana DQ me?
It has been more than 5 yrs
Are the handful of times that drugs and money were exchanged with friends enough to DQ me?
More than 5 yrs
And marijuana usage has been Almost 5 years now.

( I plan to be honest about my past and i will not LIE about the things that i have done. )

Advice is welcome.
Back to top Go down
Jasmine

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyTue May 11, 2010 10:48 am

There is much competition for law enforcement jobs. Even selling a small amount a couple times to your friends will cause you problems. I think if a police department requires you to take a polygraph test, and you pass, you could still have a chance to get hired. The only problem is that there will probably be many other applicants that don't have the experience with drugs that you do.
Back to top Go down
Lt

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:56 am

You wouldn't have a chance with my department.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyWed May 12, 2010 11:08 pm

So finding a department without a polygraph seems to be a better solution then?
Back to top Go down
Jasmine

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:59 am

I think you might have a better chance with a department that does require a polygraph test because departments will probably be suspicious that you might have sold drugs more than you are letting on. Passing a polygraph test might convince them that what you say is true.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyFri May 14, 2010 1:14 am

Thats a great point Jasmine. Unfortunately at 16 years old i did not have the foresight about the effect my choices were having on my future. I am disappointed that the decisions i made as a boy will be haunting me as a man. That's life though. I will be persistent in my efforts to continue after this career path, and I am fully aware that some departments will turn me away. I am hoping that i will be able to make it through the initial elimination period and start a career as a LEO. I would make a fine officer, so i will not give up.
Back to top Go down
Jasmine

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyMon May 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Realtor670

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptySat May 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Don't bother being honest on those polygraphs if it is something that will disqualify you.

What you have to ask yourself is, if they were to hire a private investigator to ask people you know about you, would one of them likely talk about you selling drugs?

I know that you haven't done it in a long time, but believe me when I say even though I am not a cop.... An agency 90% of the time WILL NOT hire you if you admit to having sold drugs in the past, no matter how long ago it was. I can't really explain why they won't let it go if it is long in the past but they usually will not.

If you are asked about it on a lie detector DO NOT disclose it. There are ways to manipulate the machine into confusing its readings when you get to questions like that.

All cops will say "well it's important to be 100% honest..." BS! If they really believed that they wouldn't lie to you by saying a polygraph machine will be able to tell how honest you are.

The examiners do tricks to make you believe it works. One common one is they will ask you to draw from a deck of cards without showing them, and they will ask you to answer no to every question and when they get to your card they will tell you the machine told them you lied. They are lying. They had you draw from a deck where every card was the same. The sad thing about this test is almost half of the people will fail who tell the truth.
Back to top Go down
KCat0307

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:53 am

I have read in some departments that any type of drug sales will disqualify you, and any use of any "real" drug like crack, LSD, or other hallucinogenic drugs will automatically disqualify you. I would think that a few times of using marijuana will not disqualify you, but from what I have read each department is different and if you will be a "main player" it is much, much harder with little blips on your background.

I am no expert, I am also applying soon, so I do not have professional advice. Good luck
Back to top Go down
KCat0307

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:54 am

I have read in some departments that any type of drug sales will disqualify you, and any use of any "real" drug like crack, LSD, or other hallucinogenic drugs will automatically disqualify you. I would think that a few times of using marijuana will not disqualify you, but from what I have read each department is different and if you will be a "main player" it is much, much harder with little blips on your background.

I am no expert, I am also applying soon, so I do not have professional advice. Good luck
Back to top Go down
noboysco

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:42 am

police departments will find a reason to DQ you... there is a lot more to being a cop then just the background investigation. nowadays it's even harder but I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that if you did a background investigation on some of the officers you would find something from their past that is now getting people DQ,ed. It's best to start knowing people in law enforcement because if you are not of the inner circle you don't stand a chance.
Back to top Go down
Hockey

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 pm

I heard that the use of any hard drug will disqualify.
Selling weed will most likely DQ you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drug use History and Law Enforcement   Drug use History and Law Enforcement Empty

Back to top Go down

Drug use History and Law Enforcement

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-