Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Animal Cop

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JewelryL

Animal Cop _
PostSubject: Animal Cop   Animal Cop EmptyTue May 18, 2010 7:53 pm

My daughter is looking to become a 'first responder' of sorts that takes an animal abuse call and checks it out. Also, may be the one to take the animal away. We think this is called an 'animal cop' but not sure. Anyway, where should she start?!! Help!
Back to top Go down
C

Animal Cop _
PostSubject: Re: Animal Cop   Animal Cop EmptyTue May 18, 2010 10:15 pm

It sounds like she wants to become an animal control officer.

In Los Angeles County California for example, animal control officers enforce state, county and city codes and ordinances governing animal control including the care and treatment, impounding, quarantine, licensing vaccination, and regulation of a variety of animals.

They perform a wide variety of routine field work under the supervision of higher-level personnel involving responsibility for responding to incidents and providing animal control services in an unincorporated area or contract city of the county and in accordance with established service agreements. They typically operate light vehicles while working in the field with a great deal of independence and are expected to utilize a basic knowledge of the policies and procedures of the Department of Animal Care and Control and applicable codes and ordinances governing animal care and control, animal identification, recognition of illness, habits and behavior of various animals and the techniques and equipment used in capturing, restraining, receiving, feeding, caring for, grooming and releasing animals. They also are expected to enforce state, county and city codes, ordinances, and laws pertaining to animals.

They patrol an assigned geographical area in a light truck observing for violations or responding to incidents.

They capture both domestic and wild animals, using equipment and methods appropriate for animal abatement and control; may require chasing, climbing fences and crawling under houses.

They inspect animal facilities to ensure conformance to laws; explains violations and need for correction of such things as poor sanitary conditions, inadequate food and over-crowded conditions.

They issue citations, licenses, warnings and/or legal notices; enforce licensing laws.

They assist a Registered Veterinary Technician by prepping and restraining animals for vaccination or euthanasia.

They assist a veterinarian in a spay and neuter clinic or during euthanasia as needed.

Thy serve as office information officer and radio dispatcher; receive in-person and telephone requests for information and animal control services from citizens and public agencies and dispatch officers to routine incidents.

They report to a field command post established to provide extended hours of animal containment, capture and relocation in emergencies such as brush fires, floods or animals loose on public thoroughfares.

They testify in court as to facts related to violations of animal control laws.

They present departmentally prepared and approved educational programs including tours, lectures, slides and demonstrations at schools and civic meetings.

They pick up small dead animals manually and large animals such as horses or cows, using a truck-driven winch and harness.

They provide assistance in office operations or in kennels, as needed.
Back to top Go down

Animal Cop _
PostSubject: Re: Animal Cop   Animal Cop EmptyWed May 19, 2010 6:46 pm

Contact your local police department, and ask them who handles animal control. Then contact them. You could also contact the nearest humane society, and ask to speak with one of their investigators Smile
Back to top Go down
Mark08

Animal Cop _
PostSubject: Re: Animal Cop   Animal Cop EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 11:35 am

The animal control officer in our town is armed, and works under the supervision of the chief of police. It isn't a bad job if you like dealing with animals. Our animal control officer doesn't get paid that much though.
Back to top Go down
animallover

Animal Cop _
PostSubject: What classes should I take?   Animal Cop EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 9:48 am

I'm interested in becoming a animal cop since I love animals. I'm not sure what high school classes and college majors I should take. I'm a sophomore in high school but that also means that I only have two years left in high school and I have to choose my classes wisely in order to become a animal cop. Any suggestions on what classes I should take in both high school and college?
Back to top Go down
C

Animal Cop _
PostSubject: Re: Animal Cop   Animal Cop EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 9:25 am

I would take biology classes, writing classes, and maybe some psychology in high school. For college, I might get a biology degree, a veterinary science degree, or criminal justice.
Back to top Go down
Anonymou

Animal Cop _
PostSubject: Re: Animal Cop   Animal Cop EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 7:13 am

Take classes that prepare you for college. That's the main thing! Criminal justice or criminology would be good majors for you in college.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Animal Cop _
PostSubject: Re: Animal Cop   Animal Cop Empty

Back to top Go down

Animal Cop

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-