Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

[Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alex

[Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy? _
PostSubject: [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy?   [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi my names alex 19 years old. Will these things disqualify me from being a police officer/getting into an academy.

-smoked marijuana when i was 17 or 18, 4-5 times with a friend pressured me into trying it so I did. After couple of months he quit, so did I haven't smoked anymore and never will.
- i drank underage couple of times at a friends college
- i messed up my first year of college dropped out of most classes and failed a few, passed only criminal justice 101 with a B Razz
- i have good credit, had few speeding tickets and 1 seat belt ticket, all have been paid off and off my record
- i see myself as a lazy individual, but when i am determined i can accomplish anything

I am pulling my stuff together and going to finish getting my degree in criminal justice. I know this depends on the department when hiring but I want to know what my chances are when getting hired by a police department, or getting into an academy.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy?   [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy? EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:52 pm

You still have a chance. Do what you say you are going to do. Finish your degree. You should get a 4 year degree with a high GPA.
Back to top Go down
Mr.S

PostSubject: Re: [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy?   [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy? EmptySat May 22, 2010 6:23 pm

You do still have a chance, but be patient. The job market is tough, and police departments are getting more applicants than they have in recent years so there is a lot of competition for police jobs. If police departments you want to work for require you take a civil service test, you have to score at the top. After that, you have to be a better candidate than the others.
Back to top Go down
Realtor670

PostSubject: Re: [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy?   [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy? EmptySat May 22, 2010 7:36 pm

I think you have to be 21 years old to go to academy anyway.

The problem I see is that you have done marijuana multiple times and it wasn't that long ago. They will have no way of knowing that it was only a thing of the past unless it has been a good 5 years or so that you have stopped doing it.

I honestly don't see anyone younger than like 24 being hired as a cop anyway. Too immature and not enough life or career experience.
Back to top Go down
Todd

PostSubject: Re: [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy?   [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy? EmptySun May 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Wait a few years, and then apply!
Back to top Go down
alex

PostSubject: Re: [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy?   [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy? EmptyThu May 27, 2010 4:39 pm

i know you have to be 21 to get into the academy, but i am patient and hope the past will not prevent me from getting a job. But thank you for the replies, and yea the job market is tough right now, I went for a ride along few weeks ago and the officer told me that, he said over 100 officers were being let go, so in couple of years you have people fresh out of the academy looking for jobs, and the officers that were let go who have experience, its tough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy?   [Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy? Empty

Back to top Go down

[Advice] Will my faults disqulifty me from police academy?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-