Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Can I get some advice about my background please?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TravisH

Can I get some advice about my background please? _
PostSubject: Can I get some advice about my background please?   Can I get some advice about my background please? EmptyTue May 25, 2010 2:49 am

I am currently enrolled in an Associate's Degree for Criminal Justice. I start in August. My ultimate goal is a career in a field of Computer Forensics. My plan is to become a police officer after receiving my degree and go back to school part time for a degree in Computer Science, Programming, IT, etc.

My main concern is being hired as a Police Officer. I will be 27 years old on Thursday the 27th (golden b-day, hurray!)

- I have had my share of speeding tickets (5 maybe) and had driving on a suspended license (twice i think.) These were from the age of 16-20. I have a clean driving record since the age of 21.

- When I was 18, I received a "cruelty to animals" citation because my roomate left his cat at the apartment we lived in after I moved out. (My name was on the renter's agreement but he was last to move out.) The landlord said it was my cat (She did know he lived there and she admitted I had no pets when I moved in.) It honestly was not my fault. I had no part in leaving the cat there. I overheard his girlfriend a few days prior talking about bringing the cat to her mom's house. I didn't think anything of it.

- I don't have any dv/dc/dui convictions or anything like that.

- My employment was rocky from the age 18-23. Since then I've had a steady job that paid great. I got laid off recently which is why I decided to go for a degree. 15-18 I worked as an apprentice during high school as a Mechanical CAD Drafter.

- My credit was also rocky from 18-24. I have since then cleaned it up and have no outstanding debt. (approx 2 years.)

- I consider myself really smart when it comes to math, computers, and written communication. I scored very high on the Accuplacer test since I never took an ACT or SAT. I also scored very high on my ASVAB when I waw contemplating the NAVY.

- I am somewhat shy when it comes to speaking to large audiences, but I will overcome that eventually.

- I would have to get back into shape. I was a manufacturer's rep and did a lot of sitting and driving. I do go to the gym once in awhile. I'm 6'4" 210lbs. I've been very active lately working on cardio fitness.

- I volunteer with the Local Parks & Rec Department putting disc golf courses in at parks.

I would just like to get a feel for what people think. My main concern is my driving record and the "cruelty to animal" citation. I don't know if that was a criminal charge.

Thank you for your time.
Back to top Go down
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: Can I get some advice about my background please?   Can I get some advice about my background please? EmptyTue May 25, 2010 10:13 am

I think you would have a good chance at being hired if you do well during any tests or interviews.
Back to top Go down
SWAT

PostSubject: Re: Can I get some advice about my background please?   Can I get some advice about my background please? EmptyTue May 25, 2010 11:54 am

I think your background would be acceptable with most police departments. Those traffic tickets are likely not a concern since you haven't had any in 7 years. The cruelty to animals charge was almost ten years ago, and based on the circumstances you described, I don't think that would cause you any problems. Your age if fine. No outstanding debt is great. Get in shape, get your degree, and get a job!
Back to top Go down
Realtor670

PostSubject: Re: Can I get some advice about my background please?   Can I get some advice about my background please? EmptyFri May 28, 2010 1:52 am

A lot of your stuff is juvenile so I don't see that hurting you based on the problems all the other candidates applying for the job have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I get some advice about my background please?   Can I get some advice about my background please? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can I get some advice about my background please?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-