Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Oral Board

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jackson

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Oral Board   Oral Board EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I recently have tested for a CSO position (community service officer) and got passing scores, I have a oral board scheduled very soon.

I was wondering what I can do to prepare for it?
possibly some example questions?

I was a explorer for the department for almost 3 years
all help is appreciated
Back to top Go down
Rob

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Re: Oral Board   Oral Board EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question, but i read that you were a police explorer for 3 years? Could you possibly tell me what it is like being a police explorer? Will it have a great impact on getting hired by a department if you were an explorer? Any help would be helpful. I hope to become an explorer at the end of this year or during the beginning of 2011.
Back to top Go down
jackson

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Oral Board   Oral Board EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 5:04 pm

being a police explorer was a very rewarding thing that I decided to do. you get familiar with the department, meet ALOT of police officers including the chief and the people that potentially could be hiring you one day. It is a GREAT thing to do if your intrested in law enforcement. Without getting the training I did doing it, I wouldnt be as prepared as I am today in applying. it can be the difference between getting the job and not. most police agencies want to know what your going to do for the community and how much time you have given to it.
hope this helps any other questions feel free to ask.
Back to top Go down
Rob

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Re: Oral Board   Oral Board EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 12:21 am

Wow thank you I never knew about that, thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Badge101

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Re: Oral Board   Oral Board EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Really the board can ask you anything. One question that I was asked was "Why do you want to be a police officer?". It is a very generic question, but if you stumble or don't have some sort of decent answer, you won't look good. Try not to sound too generic with your answers.

The oral interviews or boards are designed so that interviewers can observe your appearance, observe your demeanor, test your knowledge and communications skills, and find out how you do under pressure. Some say that the oral interview the main show stopper or deal maker. However, the background investigation probably eliminates more candidates that the oral interview. You should practice for the oral interview. It is very easy to do. There are several resources for sample interview questions. Have a friend or family member play the part of the interviewer, and do mock interviews. Practice, practice, practice. It is also a good idea to set up a video camera, and record your interviews so that you can view yourself, and improve your skills. There are several things to consider when it comes to oral interviews. Make sure that dress appropriately (suit and tie, shoes shined, etc.), and make sure that you are well-groomed. Be sure to get enough sleep the night before and eat a healthy breakfast the day of your interview. Arrive fifteen minutes early. When shaking hands, use a firm grip, and make eye contact with the person you are shaking hands with. Your verbal communication and non-verbal communication (body language) will be observed, and are both important. It has been estimated that 50 to 75 percent of communication is non-verbal. So, here are some tips. Don't figit. Don't appear too stiff. Don't play with your hands or objects. Don't tap your hands, feet, or anything else that so not to indicate nervous energy. Maintain good posture. Don't slouch. Sit up straight. Keep your arms relaxed and at your sides. Don't cross your arms. Use appropriate eye contact (consistent, not constant). Smile when appropriate. Appear confident, not cocky. Try to sound natural. Avoid Uh, Umm, etc. Be an active listener. Speak clearly, keep your answers appropriate, and don't go off on a tangent. Don't hesitate much, but think about what you are going to say before you say it. Be courteous and professional. Use Sir or Ma'am. When practicing and viewing your practice interviews on video, pay close attention to your verbal and non-verbal communication, determine your weaknesses, and eliminate them. This is from the Peaceofficerjobs.com Application and Hiring page at http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com/become-a-police-officer.html

Good luck!
Back to top Go down

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Re: Oral Board   Oral Board EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Here are a few examples of questions you could be asked during a police oral board:

1. Why do you want to work for our department?
2. Can you tell us about a difficult situation you've experienced in a previous job, and how you overcame it?
3. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
4. Why should we hire you?
Back to top Go down
Jackson

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Oral Board   Oral Board EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Thank you all that helped me with the Oral Board
I feel that I did a good job

They said I will be hearing from them this week or early next week
Back to top Go down
Badge101

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Re: Oral Board   Oral Board EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Let us know if you get hired. What were a couple of questions you were asked?
Back to top Go down
jackson

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Oral Board   Oral Board EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Im not applying for a actual police officer position I am applying for a cso which requires the same testing except physical test and academy.
Im 18 but will apply for a officer position one day

I was sat down with one other applicant
we were questioned by three officers, two i knew from explorers

we were asked
what he think the position is?
how have we prepared for it?
what current jobs do we have?
why do we see us being good choices for the position?
are we comfortable with transporting prisoners alone after being trained?
are we comfortable with a polygraph test?
what kind of person do you believe to be cso material?
what kind of training have we had?
etc...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oral Board _
PostSubject: Re: Oral Board   Oral Board Empty

Back to top Go down

Oral Board

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum