Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Will these things stop me?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Prospect

Will these things stop me? _
PostSubject: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 4:41 am

Canadian here.

-Viewing girlfriend naked on electronic device (computer, cell) Both underage.
-Possibly viewing people my age in a provocative manner on the internet, but not sure, no age was specified, just assuming
-Harassed a guy I knew jokingly on facebook anoymously, he got all gung ho, began threatning everyone, situation defused, nothing escalated beyond verbal threats
-Sort of stole from an employer, food, drinks, they knew, but told us not to do it
-Was informally terminated from an employer because of allegation that happened 5 months prior to my termination due to not following policy, i was neither trained nor even on the payroll yet, It was my second week i believe, and I'm not sure if i even did it
-Set off fireworks throughout highschool halloween, police arrived once, just wanted to see if we had any illegal fireworks, they didnt document anything and let us go
-Withheld information from current employer about having a previous job because I did not want it to hurt my chances of being hired

Everything happened under the age of 17 with the exception of the fireworks and witholding previous work experience.

Other then that, no drugs or arrests, criminal record etc.

Are these any show stoppers?
Should I apply if I put a good clean 5 years between me and these indiscretions?
Back to top Go down
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 4:43 am

Edit: for the first indiscretion, if it was unclear, i meant both of us were underage.
Back to top Go down
Badge101

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 11:25 am

None of what you have described would be show stoppers with most agencies. The more time from these indiscretions, the better your chances will be. Continue to not do anything that you would not want a background investigator to find out about. Get as much schooling as you can. Do what you can to improve your employment history. If you don't currently have a job, get one. Be an excellent employee. Keep the job until you apply to become a police officer if you can. Even if it is just a part-time job that you work one day per week. When it comes time for applying to become a police officer, be honest. Lying on applications and/or during interviews is a show stopper.
Back to top Go down
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 2:47 am

Forgot to add a few things.

-Girlfriend and I at the age of 13-15 do stuff in eh, semi-public because of no privacy at home, no one ever saw.
-Had a stint of OCD/Depression (ASSUMED, was nver diagnosed or treated) I just reasearched it and it seemed like I have some of the symptoms, of repeating things over and over again. That is fully behind me now, it was silly so I stopped it.
-Relating to the OCD I fear because I had to do everythin twice such as accidently coming in contact with my dogs butt twice, having to come in brief contact again would fall under beastiality, which I dont beleive it would
-At 13 I cut myself for attention from this girl, to get her to "worry about me" I was not actually suicidal or emotionally disturbed

Having said these. I believe the above mentioned will be an uphill battle. Hopefully not as much with time.
Back to top Go down
tamu15

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 3:33 pm

if I have used steroids, can I still become a police officer?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 10:22 am

Prospect,

You received a good answer from Badge101. Please consider joining our forums as a registered user. Thanks. It is free and easy to register.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com/
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 10:27 am

tamu15,

You could still become a police officer. For example, the Seattle Police Department requires that you have not engaged in the illegal use of steroids within the past five (5) years to be considered for employment. Standards regarding past drug use often varies from one police department to another.

We invite you to join our forums as a registered user. It is free and easy to register.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com/
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 6:19 pm

Thank you admin, yes Badge did give me a very good reply, but my second post regarded new issues that were unanswered.
Back to top Go down
Badge101

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 7:59 pm

You could have an uphill battle, but I think that if none of the things that concern you have happened for a number of years, and you pass the psych tests and evaluations, you could still become a cop. Do what you can to make yourself the best candidate that you can. Be honest. get as much education as possible. Apply when you feel that you are ready, and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? EmptySat Nov 01, 2008 8:26 pm

Thank you, I do plan on putting at least 5 good years between the things I mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will these things stop me?   Will these things stop me? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will these things stop me?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-