Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

question for hiring boards

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
noboysco

question for hiring boards _
PostSubject: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 pm

I posted at an earlier date about the major issue the agencies are having a problem with concerning my background. Here it is again....I have been applying to various different departments that in the area and I have been rejected by all of them so far most departments won't tell me exactly the reason for their decision. but a recent letter said I didn't demonstrate sound judgment. and 2 delinquent credit accounts the reason for the decision about the lack of sound judgment stems from my background. I have no major issues with my criminal background. But I married my second wife after divorcing my first wife ...or so I thought! turns out the paperwork from the first marriage was never filed properly by the court. when I found this out I immediately refiled and had the first marriage finalized. The department determined that although it was not intentional and no crime was committed..my failure to verify the first divorce shows a lack of judgment......

is there anything you could maybe suggest I could say to the oral board that would help to convince them that it was an oversight on my part and that it shouldn't be the determining factor as to my judgment. By that logic anyone who has ever done anything wrong has a lack of sound judgment .
IE: DWI (not a DQer) certain misdemeanors (not DQers) and as far as the credit cards I've already explained to them that due to my prolonged unemployment my credit cards fell behind but as soon as I'm working again they will be caught up. any advise anyone can give would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Just wondering, have you tried explaining it to the board yet?
Just mention this to the oral board and tell the truth.
P.S. I am not a cop so I don't really know much about these boards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 12:24 pm

If this happened recently, then you will probably just have to be patient and wait (maybe a number of years). Police departments are going to hire the people that appear to be the best overall candidate. If there are candidates with less issues or less recent issues with just as good or better qualifications, then they will get the nod before you.
Back to top Go down
SWAT

PostSubject: Re: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 7:42 pm

The problem is that there is no way to prove that being married to two women at the same time was an oversight. Police are naturally suspicious, and that doesn't help your case.
Back to top Go down
noboysco

PostSubject: Re: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 pm

so based on what I'm hearing is that I should try a different career path? would that be be an accurate assumption
Back to top Go down
RS

PostSubject: Re: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:02 am

I wouldn't forget about the police career completely. Maybe wait a few years. In the meantime work on something else. It's always nice to have something else to do anyway.
Back to top Go down
noboysco

PostSubject: Re: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 5:42 pm

the problem with waiting is my credentials are only good for 2 years if I don't get appointed by an agency by then my peace officer certificate will be inactive and I will have to do the entire academy again.
Back to top Go down
Roger

PostSubject: Re: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:19 pm

It depends on how bad you want to be a police officer. If you can't get hired now you can either wait a few years and try again or you can choose a different career path. Completing a police academy again isn't such a problem if being a police officer is something that you really want to do. I know many people that have completed more than one academy.
Back to top Go down
noboysco

PostSubject: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 4:14 pm

I have taken polygraphs which addressed the question and passed so that doesn't bother me as far as being able to explain it, but when they couple that issue with the not so good credit and the experimental drug use(never more than once on any particular drug)from 15 years ago, they see it as a pattern of irresponsibility and DQ me.I have been completely open and honest with all the departments I apply with and have tried to show them that I am not the same person I was back then. I should also mention that I have worked for a law enforcement agency in the past and I wonder if maybe there is some derogatory information(I can't think of anything) in my file that might make them look unfavorably at me. I can't remember doing anything unfavorable while I was employed there( my training is up to date and all my evaluations are stellar so I don't see what the problem is. FYI, the aforementioned drug use was prior to my employment with my previous department.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question for hiring boards   question for hiring boards Empty

Back to top Go down

question for hiring boards

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-