Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

How long to become a detective?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RobertT

How long to become a detective? _
PostSubject: How long to become a detective?   How long to become a detective? EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 2:35 pm

How long does it take to become a detective? I wanna be a detective. I am a sophmor in high school right now.
Back to top Go down
SWAT

PostSubject: Re: How long to become a detective?   How long to become a detective? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 11:07 am

It sometimes takes many years to become a detective. Some officers never get to be detectives.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: How long to become a detective?   How long to become a detective? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:06 pm

You have to become a police officer before you can become a police detective. It usually takes at least 6 months from the time you apply to become a police officer. It often takes longer. Most police departments require that you work for a number of years as a patrol officer before being eligible to become a detective. If you want to become a police detective, you should be an excellent police officer, and be recommended by your supervisor.
Back to top Go down
JC

PostSubject: Re: How long to become a detective?   How long to become a detective? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 pm

A lot has to do with the department's requirements and how good an officer you are. I know officers that became detectives within three years, and I know a detective that didn't become a detective for fifteen years Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: How long to become a detective?   How long to become a detective? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 1:09 pm

Get a good degree from a good school with a good GPA. Become an officer with a large police department. Be a great officer. When you are eligible to compete for a detective spot, try it.
Back to top Go down
RobertT

PostSubject: Re: How long to become a detective?   How long to become a detective? EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 12:44 pm

I am definitely going to college. I was gonna major in Criminal Justice and minor is something. I might do it the other way around though. THANKS for all the responses so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long to become a detective?   How long to become a detective? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long to become a detective?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-