Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Background question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest205

Background question _
PostSubject: Background question   Background question EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 4:47 pm

I have passed a poly, psych, and background for a department. I never received a DQ letter and was told I would receive a recommendation from everyone who administered my tests. A few months letter I received A a BETTER QUALIFIED APPLICANTS LETTER and encouraged to reapply in 1 year.

I know I passed everything but just wondering about my background. I have a 4 year degree and high honors. No relevant working experience. I worked 3 years at one job as an assistant manager in culinary ops and then 9 months at another restaurant. I quit both jobs without adequate notice but did not really leave on bad terms. The first one I left because it conflicted with school and the second one because I realized food just sucks and I wanted to go the the police academy. I did just that. I regret not giving notice but I was never disciplined for anything. No write ups. Never called out or was absent.

Never did drugs. I did have an underage drinking that I admit to but I was never found guilty. One ticket for failure to yield. I have been applying for about 1 1/2 years and haven't worked since. So that may be a factor. I will be working soon but I have applied all over the state. I really want this!

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
B

Background question _
PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 1:16 am

What state have you been applying in? Your background doesn't sound too bad at all. How have you been supporting yourself if you haven't work in 1 1/2 years? Are your employers from the food industry possibly providing negative information about you? I would definitely get a full-time job as soon as you can. If not in the restaurant businees, maybe you could get a security job for now.
Back to top Go down
guest205

Background question _
PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 am

Thanks for the reply. My employers would give me positive reviews. If one or two didn't oh well, so many would. I was an assistant manager during my very first job for 2 out of the 3 years I was there and then for the other restaurant I applied to. For my first job, I am friendly with the managers that I worked for and I play sports with them. No one works there that I know of so I just put them down and I guess HR gives the info. The second job, the guy said he would give a positive reference but even if he didn't I did such good work someone would have to vouch for me. I have been putting HR down for that job now just in case and telling them to contact associates that work at the restaurant just in case. I never caused a problem though.

I saved every penny so I could pursue my career. I have no loans except from the police academy but I do not have to pay that yet. I am living like a poor man Smile, trying to get a law enforcement job in PA or anywhere in the country. I have an interview for KMART. It may be part time but that is ok because I still want to take tests and I do have tests and interviews coming up so I need to stay somewhat free, but need a job too so hopefully they will pick me up.

Anyway, that job I applied for was federal so I know they can definitely be picky.
Back to top Go down
Guest205

Background question _
PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 1:50 am

I forgot to mention that I did an internship with a police department in between jobs. They would give me a positive reference also.
Back to top Go down
guest1

Background question _
PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 6:26 am

PA has a ton of part time officers. You should be able to find a small or mid size department to put you on part time. If all else fails, apply with the Hanover Police Department in Washington County. They are responsible for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette Pavilion. They hire brand new officers every spring or summer to just work concerts. It's a good way to at least get your certification number!
Back to top Go down
Guest205

Background question _
PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Wow, really? Thanks for the tip. I will definitely look into that. I have been looking for part-time as well. Some departments require to go through the entire process as a full time officer with the written exam and so on. I heard some people just went in for interviews and that's it.

Also some departments require MPT certification. I have no clue what that is. The only thing I found was law school and wiretap related.

Thanks again! I'll look at Hanover.
Back to top Go down
guest1

Background question _
PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Having an MPT certification means you are already a certified police officer. That means you already have at least a part time police officer job. It means you have a Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission number assigned to you. If you've completed the academy in PA, but are not yet a police officer, you are certifiable, but not certified. Many departments in PA require that you already are at least a part time officer before they hired you part time. It basically saves them time and money.
Back to top Go down
guest205

Background question _
PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Ahh....nice. Thanks for the info. Makes sense. Every department wants to save money these days. So many are laying off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Background question _
PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question Empty

Back to top Go down

Background question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-