Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
willc86

Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? _
PostSubject: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 6:09 pm

OK, well, like most people, I am horrified about the polygraph test; however, I am more confused on what to say.

I know, for a fact, they will ask if you have ever stolen from your previous employers. Well, I am a waiter. I usually take food from the window and eat it. I take some foods home also. But what gets to me is that would it be considered stealing, Because I know my manager will not mind.

And I know they will ask have you stolen cash. Well, I have discounted some checks and moved around sodas when people pay cash, however, same deal, My manager knows we all do that. He even gives us coupons that we can use for ourselves.

To continue on, I stopped doing this for quite some time, because in my own mind it feels wrong, maybe not to others, but to me it does.

So my question is, what do I say in the polygraph. I have never stolen cash, but I do moved around items with the manager knowing and not minding. And also, would this prevent me from getting my dream career as a law enforcement officer?
Back to top Go down
B

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 8:45 pm

If the owner did not give you permission, then it is stealing. It could prevent you from becoming a police officer, at least for a while.
Back to top Go down
willc86

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 2:44 am

that really can prevent me from getting a job? just for discounting a few checks?
Back to top Go down
B

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 10:05 am

It could. More importanly might be how much free food you helped yourself to over time, and how many checks you discounted. I guess that could add up to a lot of money. If the manager gave you permission to take food home that was going to be thrown out, then that wouldn't be an issue. What do you mean by "moved around sodas when people pay cash"?
Back to top Go down
willc86

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:08 am

like when people get sodas in their bills, I transfer it to another table so I can keep the change. But The manager knows about it and does not mind.

You know, I do a few ride alongs and I told a few officers about my situation and what do they consider it, and they all said I would not consider that stealing. Think of it as part of your job where you are just enhancing your tip and your boss allowing it. It is like you clock in for 8 hours, your time is up but you sit around and talk to get some extra cash and your boss allows it. same concept. That is what they told me. Another guy told me they mean like cold hard cash, like out of the register. What you are doing is just adding coupons that the boss is giving you for discounts. That is not cash, that is a coupon.

In other words, almost every waiter in this entire map can not become a cop? Because free food is everywhere when you are in the restaurant business and I guarantee they have there own form of making extra tips.

What I do not understand is, they would hire officers who done drugs in the past and had a few misdemeanors as a minor with only a high school degree. BUt they would not hire someone with a clean record, no car accidents, one speeding ticket over 5 years ago and with a degree, but the only thing he has done was discount checks, so not a possible candidate ?
Back to top Go down
B

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 12:30 pm

In my opinion, the soda thing would be considered the most serious. I don't think that the coupons would be an issue. Yes, departments sometimes hire people that have used drugs in the past or that have records. When they do, it is usually because enough years have passed since, or they know someone. I'm not implying that you can never be a police officer. I think that some departments would not hire you and some departments might hire you eventually.
Back to top Go down
willc86

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 3:37 pm

oh, I see. So what should I do? Just give it some time? I mean, I really do not give up that easily and I can not just let that career go. I mean, what would be my chances? I mean I did not that little tiny thing can cause so much harm. So, what is my best bet? Any help would be great
Back to top Go down
willc86

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 3:39 pm

to add on, (sorry dont know where the edit button is) How do you know I wont be hired? Do you know people who applied and have stolen things? Were you a poly. examiner or a recruiter?

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
B

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 3:58 pm

My advice would be to apply with a department or two that aren't your first choice. If you don't get hired, try to find out why, and then wait at least 3, maybe 5 years, to apply with some other departments. I have been on interview boards, and I have done background investigations. I have taken polygraph examinations. In my opinion, you wouldn't pass a polygraph test without first explaining your concerns to the polygraph examiner, and I think that many departments wouldn't hire you if you've "moved around sodas" recently. The only way to know for certain if a department will hire you is to apply. One thing to remember is that most departments have so many applicants right now that they can be more picky about who they hire.
Back to top Go down
Tiger90

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 7:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about so much. Just apply and let the cards fall where they may! It is true many servers do things like that regularly bu that don't make it right. Cops have to be honest. Apply, do your best and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Ed1198

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 1:15 pm

I agree that practically every waiter does do stuff like that and taking food home isn't such a big deal. The coupon thing seems fine to me. The soda thing might not be seen as bad as stealing from the cash register or from a friend's house, but it still isn't right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?   Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop? Empty

Back to top Go down

Polygragh confusement, and can I still be a cop?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-