Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

How subjective are oral boards?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
packers8

How subjective are oral boards? _
PostSubject: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 11:33 pm

I had an oral board and I thought it went really well. The only catch is you needed a 90 to pass and I got an 89. That just sucks.
Back to top Go down
Meagan

PostSubject: Re: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 12:24 am

That does suck! I realized that they can be VERY subjective. Sometimes they already know who they're going to hire, and just have to go through the motions of having a board. This happens more with small departments. Don't get discouraged. Keep trying Smile
Back to top Go down
packers8

PostSubject: Re: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 am

Thanks. Anyone care to share how many it could oral boards it could take before getting a job? I been through 4 after this one. This is my first score near 90. Overall my oral and written score comes out to be a 90 but I can't move forward in the process.
Back to top Go down
B

PostSubject: Re: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Many people do improve with each board. Answers tend to get better, and level of nervousness tends to go down. Keep improving, and if that's the only thing holding you back, you will probably get hired.
Back to top Go down
packers8

PostSubject: Re: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks! I definitely hope to. I have completed my police academy training and have a good record. I actually have been through a background check, poly, and psych with a department that had no oral board. Budget was an issue though. But, still, I feel confident I can get through the rest of the process since I did so before.

I think I'm at application #20.
Back to top Go down
robert.j

PostSubject: Re: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 1:43 am

Hello I was wondering what were the questions being asked on the oral board?

And what was your experience in the Academy?
Back to top Go down
Packers8

PostSubject: Re: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 3:52 am

I had a positive experience during the academy. It forced me to study hard and work at things I had little experience in. I did an internship with a police department too so I really am looking forward to this career and I am very excited about it. I want to do whatever it takes to make me the most qualified applicant I can be. Learning everything was new, exciting, sometimes boring, but we got through it. We did some light hand to hand combat and some other fun things, but mostly classroom stuff. Also, very physically demanding.

Questions for me have varied so much. My last oral board was all situational. Here are some examples:
You are the only one able to answer calls and you have just pulled over a suspected DUI, what do you do? What if he is the Mayor? Surely giving them a ride home would free you up.
You notice a peeping tom. He sees you and runs. You use verbal commands but no response, what do you do? (A follow up question may be, did you ever think he may have been deaf? - if that even changes the way you would handle it). Racial slurs being made by a Sergeant during roll call, what do you do? Why? What if everyone hates you already? At a domestic violence call you see an officer punch a handcuffed subject, what do you do? (After your response, depending upon it, I was asked what if the subject kicked the officer first, you didn't see it). There were a couple integrity questions if you get stuff for free by a local shopkeeper. Name x amount of things you would do if you were behind a vehicle that was not moving and when you approached the driver she was unresponsive and all the doors/windows were locked.

Very articulate answers required. 20 minutes to answer the questions.
Back to top Go down
Packers8

PostSubject: Re: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 3:55 am

And stupid me, I totally forgot for the last question to say knock on the window, etc to get her attention/call for EMS if she doesn't respond because it may be a serious situation. I may have gotten that 1 point I needed. Actually, probably would have. Sometimes the answers are too obvious.
Back to top Go down
Peanut

PostSubject: Re: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Sometimes they are looking for something or someone. Maybe they want to hire a female, or a minority, or another officer's cousin. Sometimes it has less to do with how you do, and more about who you are! It ain't fair, but that's life!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How subjective are oral boards?   How subjective are oral boards? Empty

Back to top Go down

How subjective are oral boards?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-