Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

who you know.... not what you know

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cisco

who you know.... not what you know _
PostSubject: who you know.... not what you know   who you know.... not what you know EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 12:06 pm

I am beginning to see that the Good ol' boy system is still in effect in many agencies. I though departments were doing away with that practice. I know of candidates getting hired that have charged with felonies. have never held a job. very long and some that have substance abuse problems...But they know people. (Every recruit from the academy that cheated and lied their way through it are working ) yet the candidates that may have had some minor issues in their past are getting passed over for these knuckleheads. So the message I'm getting is I should have been a criminal prior to applying for police officer positions and then gotten in good with the local 'Boys Club' Just curious if any other applicants are have the same issues...Or is it just this area?
Back to top Go down
packers

PostSubject: Re: who you know.... not what you know   who you know.... not what you know EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 6:58 pm

It depends. You can always call up a police department and just ask if certain things will DQ you. If it will, no sense applying. There are many police departments and from what I have seen, some are more lenient than others. Some only care about honesty and not what you have done, others are more strict.

Now from the point of view from the "felons," let's face it, if they are honest how will they get a job? Lying, I guess, would not hurt them if they are already subject to a DQ. But, why would you want to work for a department that has these kind of standards? Just apply elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
B

PostSubject: Re: who you know.... not what you know   who you know.... not what you know EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 10:25 pm

That system will always be in place to some degree in some places. That's life.
Back to top Go down
Peanut

PostSubject: Re: who you know.... not what you know   who you know.... not what you know EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Knowing someone is how many people get jobs. It's a great thing if you know someone! It'n not fair if you don't!
Back to top Go down
cisco

PostSubject: who you know.... not what you know   who you know.... not what you know EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:23 am

The Good Ol boy system is also one reason their are so many bad officers on the streets today and those who would have made good officers are doing something else. quite honestly I am fed up with looking for a police job I regret taking the academy and feel it was a big waste of time just to be passed over by someone who has a LT for a dad. I used to work in LE several years ago and wasn't always like this.. maybe it's just this area of the country. I can't help but laugh every time I turn on the news and hear about some cop getting caught doing something stupid or illegal I always catch myself saying " I bet he had good credit or His LT daddy must be so proud of him" I'm not trying to sound bitter. I just hate to feel like I wasted my time and effort just to be cast out for some kid that has already proven dishonesty by cheating and lying through the academy.
Back to top Go down
Peanut

PostSubject: Re: who you know.... not what you know   who you know.... not what you know EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 1:58 pm

The best is when you know someone and you're a good candidate. Then you're set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: who you know.... not what you know   who you know.... not what you know Empty

Back to top Go down

who you know.... not what you know

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-