Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

still no luck...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
noboysco

still no luck... _
PostSubject: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 1:49 pm

It's been almost a year since I graduated from the police academy and still no offers from any departments. I have been DQ'd from about 10 agencies and haven't heard back from about 15 others. What the hell is wrong with me that no one wants to hire me? I'm not a Felon never even been in jail , only 2 misdemeanor charges from about 15 years ago (bad checks) and some experimental drug use from about 10 -15 years ago. I have even worked as a sworn CO since all that mess. My only issue now is my credit which has suffered due to my long term unemployment and and an incident of identity theft. from about 3 years ago . I have taken full responsibility for the stuff I did
and I am working on correcting the credit situation but it's hard to when the BS security job I have doesn't pay enough for that it barely makes the mortgage and monthly bills. Any suggestions about anything else I could do ?
Back to top Go down
Ed1198

still no luck... _
PostSubject: Re: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 6:25 pm

How about another corrections job?
Back to top Go down
noboysco

still no luck... _
PostSubject: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 8:59 pm

I've considered that but the agencies that have CO positions are the same places I've applied to for the LEO positions and the hiring standards are the same for both positions. I guess my question is any suggestions on what I can do to help to convince the hiring authorities to take a chance on me I should add that I also volunteer my time as a Firefighter and soon to be a volunteer EMT. these are both good careers but my passion is Law Enforcement.
Back to top Go down
JR

still no luck... _
PostSubject: Re: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 8:49 am

Move to a state like PA. We have a bunch of little departments that hire part-time officers all the time. The pay isn't too great, but its better than nothing.
Back to top Go down
packers

still no luck... _
PostSubject: Re: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 9:34 pm

PA is constantly hiring across the state. I have never filled out an application and not heard back from a department. They usually rank you after the written score and set you up for an oral interview. If you don't make it they usually notify you or state, beforehand, you will only proceed if notified. Since Civil Service runs a lot of the tests, they can not reject you unless you unless they do a preliminary screening and found out you lied about something. I know people got DQ'd for failing to simply put all their bank accounts down.
Back to top Go down
packers

still no luck... _
PostSubject: Re: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Also, some of the police departments here require all charges to have been expunged prior to applying so I am not sure where your M charges stand and what the police departments require, but I know here even an underage drinking could hurt you if it is not expunged and that is just a summary.
Back to top Go down
JR

still no luck... _
PostSubject: Re: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 10:44 pm

Yeah, but I think after 15 years, someone would still have a decent chance.
Back to top Go down
noboysco

still no luck... _
PostSubject: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 12:50 am

I should clarify I was never arrested for the experimental drug use. but It must be disclosed on the background packet so I have to list it although it was very minimal drug experimentation I've been told from several people who are active LEOS that it's the type of drugs that were taken that would be automatic DQ's even it was 15-20 years ago and even one time use. I can understand the reason for them wanting to know but it seems strange that I could be automaticly be DQ'ed for an act which I self admitted to when no law enforcement was involved. Yet a person who has been convicted of a DWI 5 years ago and has even been to jail can still get hired can someone please shed some light on the reasoning behind these decisions? It was a stupid decision on my part but I did not risk anyones life, unlike a DWI which endagers anyone on the road.
Back to top Go down
JR

still no luck... _
PostSubject: Re: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Yeah some departments, but not all of them, would automatically disqualify you if you've ever used hallucinogens for example. California departments seem to accept more past drug use than departments in many other states.
Back to top Go down
Miller

still no luck... _
PostSubject: Re: still no luck...   still no luck... EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:31 am

A whole lot of people have been having a hard time getting jobs lately. Don't give up! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

still no luck... _
PostSubject: Re: still no luck...   still no luck... Empty

Back to top Go down

still no luck...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-