Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Decision on best route for my future. Need Help?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JarvisQ

Decision on best route for my future. Need Help? _
PostSubject: Decision on best route for my future. Need Help?   Decision on best route for my future. Need Help? EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Ok im currently a police explorer with the Jacksonville Sheriffs Office. This is my senior year of high school and Ill graduate in June 2011. Now here's my situation, my goal every since I was a little kid is to be a police officer in my hometown of Jacksonville Florida. I joined the police explorer program to get my feet wet and I'd loved it and I also made Sergeant while in it. With the sheriffs office, there is a program called Community Service Officers which is for young guys and girls like myself who have an interest in becoming a police officer and have just graduated high school and are planning to attend college. Here's the run down of it, you go to the CSO academy train for about two months and you go out to the streets ride with a more experienced CSO for a while and then after that you get your own car with laptop, radio, etc. just like a real cop pretty much. Except your only allowed to handle traffic crashes, abandoned vechicles, etc. you know like non-criminal acts. Benefits of me being a police explorer is that I get a leg up over other applicants for this position and being in this the sheriffs office will pay for your full college education.

Now I have a decision to make because I was told by JSO recruiting that the next CSO class will not be held until early 2012 and I really cant afford to sit around waiting for that long. So I stumble upon AF Security Forces and its something im really interested in and I have done a ton of research on it as well so I already know what I would be getting myself into if I enlist. My question is do you guys think I should just wait and do the CSO thing, or should I go ahead and do Security Forces and possibly get a date to leave not to far from the day I graduate high school.
Back to top Go down
Phil

PostSubject: Re: Decision on best route for my future. Need Help?   Decision on best route for my future. Need Help? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Wait for the CSO job. Try to get a grant or loan to pay for school in the mean time.
Back to top Go down
B

PostSubject: Re: Decision on best route for my future. Need Help?   Decision on best route for my future. Need Help? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:25 am

If you think your chances of getting the CSO job is very good, I would also try to start school and wait. If you're not too certain about getting the CSO job, and if joining the Air Force is something that you would enjoy, then sign up. As you know, joining the military is a big commitment, but it can be very rewarding. Have you considered the reserves?
Back to top Go down
JarvisQ

PostSubject: Re: Decision on best route for my future. Need Help?   Decision on best route for my future. Need Help? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks to both of you for responding. I appreciate it, but that's what I have been thinking of doing is just try to get a loan or something for school because I just wanna go to my local community college anyway. Then make sure I get in the next CSO class. Because like I said being in the police explorers program, it kinda gives you a leg up over other applicants and I know enough cops and people for reference and no criminal record so I think I would be ok once the application process starts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decision on best route for my future. Need Help?   Decision on best route for my future. Need Help? Empty

Back to top Go down

Decision on best route for my future. Need Help?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-