Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Education and Training Sufficiency

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bbhoang

bbhoang

Education and Training Sufficiency _
PostSubject: Education and Training Sufficiency   Education and Training Sufficiency EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 12:07 am

I am currently pursuing a BA degree in Criminology, Law, and Society at the University of California, Irvine. Upon my graduation, I plan to apply for the police department; however, I have some questions in regards to application and hiring process. These are my questions:

Do police departments require a police academy training prior to applying at the agency or will they send the individual to an academy of its choice if that individual passes the preliminary background, civil written, and physical tests?

Will my BA degree and Vietnamese as a second language assist in obtaining a better chance for me to get hired?

I am 5'6ft in height and 139lbs in weight, will my body type disqualify me from being considered (I am quite frankly short)?

What does it mean to be on probation for the first months after the academy?

How can I prepare for the written test?

I do wear to glasses/contacts to correct my vision. Will this be detrimental to the hiring process?

I do not have any charges or felony on my record, so with these descriptions above, will my application be sufficient for consideration?

I'm sorry for the length of this post, but truthfully, I am really putting a lot of faith and hope in this career. Thank you for your time.
Back to top Go down
Badge101

PostSubject: Re: Education and Training Sufficiency   Education and Training Sufficiency EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 10:08 pm

Most larger police departments do not require applicants to have already graduated from a police academy. Most larger police departments will send you to their academy if they hire you. Visit the websites of the police departments that you are interested in. You can usually find out about a department's minimum requirements from their website.

Having a four year degree will definitely give you a better chance of getting hired as opposed to not having a degree. Being fluent in a second language is also a big plus.

Your height and weight seem to be proportionate, and would not prevent you from being hired.

There are several police officer exam study guides commercially available. Most of them are beneficial.

Vision requirements often vary from department to department. Having at least 20/20 corrected vision is often most important. You can also usually find a department's vision requirements on their website. If you can't, you can call the department, and ask to speak with someone that can answer your question.

Based upon what you wrote, you seem like you will be a good candidate. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
CPLJason

PostSubject: Re: Education and Training Sufficiency   Education and Training Sufficiency EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 9:14 am

You sound like you are good to go!
Back to top Go down
RJC

PostSubject: Re: Education and Training Sufficiency   Education and Training Sufficiency EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 11:00 pm

You seem like a great candidate! Stay focused Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Education and Training Sufficiency   Education and Training Sufficiency Empty

Back to top Go down

Education and Training Sufficiency

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-