Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Unclassified Misdemeanor?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ko6688

Unclassified Misdemeanor? _
PostSubject: Unclassified Misdemeanor?   Unclassified Misdemeanor? EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm

In march of 2009, I got into a bad car accident. I was driving to school one morning, and a 79 year old lady pulled out into my lane at the last minute. I tried to brake but it was too late, so I skid into her. A car then skid into me. I was charged with "misdemeanor death by motor vehicle" because the authorities stated that I was driving over the speed limit (50mph) and was driving in between 62-75mph based on the skid marks. It was ruled half my fault and half her fault. The 79 year old lady later passed away in the hospital that day. I got sentenced to a few months probation, 25 hours community service, and fines/restitution. I pleaded nolo contendere. That is the only thing I have on my record. I will have my associates degree in criminal justice in May of this year (2011). And have an internship in may as well. I hope to get my bachelors then apply for the police academy. I am just worried about not being able to get a job with that charge. The nature of it. I have a 3.8GPA and am in many honor societies. I have many references and am a sound man at my local church (for 5 years). My probation officer now loves me and I talk to her for advice. I work with her son, we have the same job. Please reply with your thoughts, thanks
Back to top Go down
ko6688

PostSubject: Re: Unclassified Misdemeanor?   Unclassified Misdemeanor? EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 3:05 pm

I meant to say my FORMER probation officer. I have not been on probation for almost 2 years..
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: Unclassified Misdemeanor?   Unclassified Misdemeanor? EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 4:22 pm

I think that you still have a chance to become a police officer someday. Right now the job market is extremely tough. Keep working toward your degree. Keep the high grade point average. Do excellent during your internship. Maybe you could even get an internship with the probation office.
Back to top Go down
Lt

PostSubject: Re: Unclassified Misdemeanor?   Unclassified Misdemeanor? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 pm

That will be a huge obstacle to overcome. I don't think my department would hire you.
Back to top Go down
P

PostSubject: Re: Unclassified Misdemeanor?   Unclassified Misdemeanor? EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 6:04 pm

That's a very unfortunate situation. I would have to say that would be tough to overcome. I think this situation would exhibit gross negligence to a police department rather than just a simple mistake or carlessness which are sometimes overlooked.

But no one will know except the police department you are applying for. I would ask them before you apply whether you are eligible for consideration.
Back to top Go down
ko6688

PostSubject: yeah it was very hard to overcome...   Unclassified Misdemeanor? EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Yeah it was a hard situation. But most police officers that i have talked to in person tell me that since it happened the way it happened that i should be fine. If i was going 100mph+ and drinking then there would have been aggravating factors to consider, but it was not like that. Plus, that is the only thing on my record. One UNCLASSIFIED misdemeanor, which is the lowest charge you can get. I spoke to a former police officer yesterday (25 years exp.) and she told me that she had a similar charge when she was my age which was offensive touching which is also an unclassified misdemeanor. She said she waited 5 years then got it expunged. She said i could also have my charge expunged because I only have one. She said just to tell the police departments what happened, and that I will soon have it expunged and that I should be fine.
Back to top Go down
P

PostSubject: Re: Unclassified Misdemeanor?   Unclassified Misdemeanor? EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 4:44 pm

That's good to hear. Totality of the circumstances are always taken into consideration. Although you both received 'unclassified' misdemeanor charges, departments still will want the specifics, whether expunged or not. I know people who have been hired for disorderly conduct and others rejected. That is because one offense is a summary and the other one is a misdemeanor in PA. It all depends on the circumstances.

Also, here summary offenses are the lowest charge. I did not know you could get your record expunged if you plead no contest, that would be a good idea. If you really want it, you'll get it. Keep applying if you haven't already.

Good luck in the process!
Back to top Go down
Russ0079

PostSubject: good luck with that   Unclassified Misdemeanor? EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 2:28 am

All I can tell you is that if you have the same qualifications as someone else and all is even with scores, they will chose the other canidate. Those things down the road will get brought up in court, as you testify as a police officer if the attorney is good. Also large PD's that pay the most will cut you out from jump street because they can pull from the cream. Sorry just the facts. Been doing this for over 17 years and have ended a few cadets chances, because they couldnt tow the line.
Back to top Go down
Slim

PostSubject: Re: Unclassified Misdemeanor?   Unclassified Misdemeanor? EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:52 am

People with records will have a VERY difficult time becoming police officers. Departments have way too many applicants without criminal records Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unclassified Misdemeanor?   Unclassified Misdemeanor? Empty

Back to top Go down

Unclassified Misdemeanor?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-