Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

A few things I have done. Should I still apply?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evan

A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? _
PostSubject: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Hello, I am 23 years old and I currently work for a college police department as a security guard. I have worked for 3 years and have had what I think is an excellent work record with them. They require 30 hours of college credit and two years experience as a guard to apply to be an officer in which I have 21 hours and will be taking two classes this fall and one class in the summer to get my 30 hours.

This is great and all but I have a few things that I have done that I would like to make sure would not disqualify me from being accepted.

-When i was in the 7th grade, I went into a house of a friend and took a video game.
-I smoked Marijuana probably 4-6 times from age 14-15.
-From ages 20-22 I probably drank and drove around 10 times(that's the one I'm worried most about)
-I thrown out my back last year and a co-worker gave me a few prescription pain pills that I took once or twice a week over about a month long period.

Other than those things I have a completely clean record. I have never been arrested nor have I even received a ticket. Thank you for your time in looking over my question!

Evan
Back to top Go down
Evan

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 3:42 pm

I apologize for the typo, I meant to say i THREW my back out.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 5:15 pm

You should do fine. You will be applying with the same department for a different position. If the same questions were asked on the security guard application or if they use the same application for security guards as they do for police officers, and you answered honestly when you applied for the secuirty guard position, you will be okay.
Back to top Go down
RRY

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 5:31 pm

How much marijuana? Did you buy it? Did someone give it to you? Did you sell? Where did you smoke it? It is impossible to determine whether you are eligible just based on the fact that you smoked it, a lot more information is required by police departments.

The general rule, if you have committed felony at any point in your life there is a strong possibility of DQ. However, that is up to the police department to decide.

Burglary - Felony
Taking someone's prescription medication - charge varies but it is illegal
10 DUI's - Misd, but the fact that they happened recently shows lack of responsibility.

If you were asked the same questions, they already know the answers, it will not affect you. However, I have known a few officers who were let go after applying to other agencies and being rejected based on their background.

You can always ask before you apply.
Back to top Go down
HockeyRu

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 6:13 pm

The only thing you have to worry about is when you took prescription pills from your friend.
Because they were not prescribed to you, it could cause a problem.
You smoked marijuana a long time ago and it shouldnt matter.
A lot of people drink and drive, but you've never been caught so it should not be that
big of a deal; but taking pills from someone else that are NOT prescribed to you
is definitely a bigger problem than drinking and driving (as far as the hiring board
is concerned at least).
Back to top Go down
P

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Police departments are definitely not looking for perfect people, but responsible people.

If you have been working as a security guard for three years, that means you have driven under the influence during the years in which you were employed. Not good, especially if you want to be in a position of honor and integrity. You also admitted to taking prescription drugs from another person within the past year and, again, while in your current position (I am assuming). I do not think it is fair to discourage anyone from applying but to determine whether you should go through with it, simply ask yourself if you are willing to admit to your employer the things you just mentioned.

Best of luck!

Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Oops. I scanned your question too quickly the first time, and didn't realize the prescription meds thing and the drinking and driving occurred since you've had the security guard job. The prescription meds thing and driving under the influence multiple times could indeed cause you some problems. I agree with the other posters.
Back to top Go down
Evan

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 4:22 am

I can't help but feel a little helpless now. So are yall basically saying that I am screwed and that there is no way around this? I mean I don't even remember being asked about prescription pills on my last application for being a guard. I just want to know if I am wasting my time going to school right now getting my 30 hours for a job that will be completely impossible to get.

Evan
Back to top Go down
Evan

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 4:25 am

I understand that what I did was wrong and I fully intend to take responsibility for my actions when I apply but will that not matter? I was under the impression that police departments were looking for people that are honorable, not perfect. Yes I did have my current job when I did those things but that still doesn't change the fact that I was 19 and 20 and 21 at the time. Times in most peoples lives when they make stupid immature mistakes. I don't intend to make those same mistakes again.
Back to top Go down
P

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 8:04 am

I can tell you that the background investigation will be much more intense for becoming a police officer. You will definitely come across questions you have not seen before.

Couple things to keep in mind:
On a background check they usually supply a list of drugs in which you have to check off which you used illegally, marijuana and pain killers should be checked off in your case. The pain killers were not prescribed to you; therefore, illegally used. In some states that is a felony. They could also obtain that information from interviewing the person who gave you the pain killers.

How long have you known you wanted to be a police officer? I agree that is great you want to own up for your actions but a police department may say you should have thought about the consquences for your actions prior to doing anything illegal. Also these incidents happened recently and with the same department you are applying to. Being a police officer is not a game to demonstrate what you can get away with.

In order to show you have learned from your mistakes you will have to demonstrate at least 5-7 years of good moral decisions. To me it demonstrates poor judgment and lack of responsibility, and police officers must exercise proper discretion.

I would volunteer to a TIPS or drug and alcohol class so you can demonstrate you really learned from drinking and driving. As you stated, this is very recent and although you weren't caught it is still a crime which can result in a loss of license.

Certain actions have permanent consequences. Just ask to speak with someone in charge of the hiring process they will be able to tell you.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Great replies P Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Packers

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I am not a police officer but I do have an answer for one of your concerns. I recently received a Background Investigation Questionnaire and one of the questions asks if you have ever used prescription drugs that were not prescribed to you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few things I have done. Should I still apply?   A few things I have done.  Should I still apply? Empty

Back to top Go down

A few things I have done. Should I still apply?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-