Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

can i become a police officer still

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
geust019

can i become a police officer still _
PostSubject: can i become a police officer still   can i become a police officer still EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm 18 and recently got a misdemeanor for weed over 1.4 g and have sold weed but i don't even think i could have sold much more than an oz all together. I really want to become a cop and i'm wondering if i'm still able to.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: can i become a police officer still   can i become a police officer still EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 6:35 pm

It depends. Having sold is probably going to cause you a lot of difficulty. Some departments won't ever hire you if you've sold. Honestly, my best advice would be to stay completely squeaky clean, wait at least 10 years, and then apply. You will still be plenty young enough. In the meantime, get a 4 year college degree, and pursue another job that you might like. Maybe security related. And do everything else possible to make yourself a great candidate.
Back to top Go down
P

PostSubject: Re: can i become a police officer still   can i become a police officer still EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Selling drugs will most likely prevent you from becoming a police officer. Even if you were hired it would most likely not be for many years. This is one of those offenses that, whether committed as a juvenile or an adult, will be very hard to overlook when deciding to hire someone. The general rule that I try to tell applicants is if you have committed a felony at some point in your life, it will cause the most problems for you when going through the hiring process. The reason being, if you have committed a felony, in most states that will prevent you from being able to apply for a firearm.

However, each department is different. Some things may DQ from one department but not from another. The best bet is to just call ahead of time and ask if that will DQ you. Although you can still be hired after being DQ from another police department it will not look good to rack up a bunch of DQ's.

Back to top Go down
WeeWee

PostSubject: Re: can i become a police officer still   can i become a police officer still EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm pretty sure that you can get a firearm if you've committed a felony but not if you've been convicted of one.
Back to top Go down
P

PostSubject: Re: can i become a police officer still   can i become a police officer still EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Of course. Let me rephrase. If you admit to having committed a felony at some point in your life, then you are admitting to a crime which could prohibit you from carrying a firearm had you been convicted. Regardless of conviction, the admission of guilt can still be held against you.
Back to top Go down
Lt

PostSubject: Re: can i become a police officer still   can i become a police officer still EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 11:52 am

You would not be able to get a job with my department.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can i become a police officer still   can i become a police officer still Empty

Back to top Go down

can i become a police officer still

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-