Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Is police work for me?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest101

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 pm

I applied to many departments and I am starting to score really high on tests and interviews. However, during the hiring process I have been told a couple times that police work may not be for me? Is there a reason why they would keep saying this other than trying to break me? I have a great passion for this career and want it more than anything. It makes me mad that I have worked so hard and completed an intern with a police department to hear comments like that. Not that it bothers me but how can I prove them wrong? I know I won't be getting recommended for hire by a department that doesn't think its for me. I have dealt with people my whole life and have been yelled at, threatened, and even spit on. I know how to remain calm and effectively make a good decision without escalating the situation. Maybe its because I'm not 6'2 230 lbs.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 12:27 am

At what point in the hiring process have you been told that police work may not be for you? Is there something in your background that departments might not like?
Back to top Go down
Guest101

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 1:34 am

This was after the oral board when the police department took over and Civil Service was no longer involved. I asked about my background and they said nothing would DQ based on what I have said. I think I could have explained things a little better on my application packet but nothing was intentionally omitted.

I have gaps in my work history and really need to start working. That may have looked like I am just careless and not committed. I am working on that now though because that is not my intention. I may have two jobs lined up. I have a college degree and completed a police academy. I have put hundreds of dollars out for tests and traveling expense, so I definitely want this.

I was also told this before at a poly. I passed it but a couple times I guess I was nervous but I calmed down. I think that was to try to make me cooperate better but that was all fine in the end. I may be a little nervous at times too but nothing I can't controll. It is just something I really want and when I make it through to certain phases I think about being so close. The process is very long and tedious so these opportunities do not come often that is why I want to make the best impression possible. But if I am doing well in the oral boards I always thought just to keep at it and I'll eventually get hired, but didn't think I would be put down during the process.

It could be just to see if I get defensive, but I don't know. It won't stop me from applying but it just sucks to hear it. Thanks for the reply, I will take any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Peanut

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 9:01 pm

It sounds like they're not believing something or somethings that you're telling them. If it happens again, ask them why they say that.
Back to top Go down
Guest101

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 2:16 pm

Good idea. I did not want to come across rude but next time I'll do that.
Back to top Go down
Guest101

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 2:20 pm

And I also got that impression from them. I have nothing to hide so I'll just tell them that next time and let them find out that I am telling the truth on their own. I passed a background check before so I am not worried.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 am

When explaining negative situations in your past, try not to do too much justifying or rationalizing. Just say what happened.
Back to top Go down
Guest101

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Very true. I think I do have a tendency to do that rather than just admitting I did something wrong and learning from it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Trainer

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 10:45 am

How old are you? Do you have a college degree?
Back to top Go down
Guest101

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Yes I do. I have a BA in Criminal Justice and I am 24.
Back to top Go down
MIKEV

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Sometimes departments realize that you been turned down by a bunch of other departments so they tend to shy away from hiring you too. It's a catch 2 thing though. If you don't keep applying, you won't get hired of course!
Back to top Go down
Guest101

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Now that's true. Of course, I wish places would understand that when you apply to a department that doesn't mean you have always reached the stage of consideration. Written tests are all different and oral boards are so subjective. I think I have been through 6 now. Some I do really well on but the same answers for other departments appear not to be good enough. Also, most departments hire just one or two guys so it's not easy.

I really don't care if I apply to 100 departments. This is something I want to do and I am willing to carry out my career anywhere. Of course, I'm not going to beg and be desperate. If departments can't see my passion for this job, then I'll take it somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 am

Keep a positive attitude and don't give up Exclamation Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is police work for me? _
PostSubject: Re: Is police work for me?   Is police work for me? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is police work for me?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-