Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Joining the Army to be an MP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tom2012

Joining the Army to be an MP _
PostSubject: Joining the Army to be an MP   Joining the Army to be an MP EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 4:04 pm

I graduate next year and i'm thinking about joining the Army to be an MP. I'm sort of nervous about talking to a recruiter because I heard that sometimes they try to get you into jobs that you don't want and stuff. Do they usually do this? also would i go to basic training and MP school at the same place or different bases? If there is anything else I should know please post!!! Thank you
Back to top Go down
Packers

PostSubject: Re: Joining the Army to be an MP   Joining the Army to be an MP EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 4:32 pm

I have no idea about the training for MP. I too was looking at joining the army to become one. However, some guys that were in the army told me it is very hard to get into and that you can not apply for the position until you are two years into the service. That's just what I heard. I can not verify anything, but it is something to keep in mind if you are looking to do it right away. Some people never get it at all. It is just your MO. Therefore, requiring additional training. Everyone still goes through Basic.

Recruiters are good talkers. However, there are some decent ones who were upfront and honest with me. Ask around and bring up these points. They won't lie to you. They just will keep things from you that they do not want you to know. Their job is to get you to sign on the dotted line. Keep that in mind. The army is a great career, but you need certain scores to get into certain fields and may need to know a person or two just like anywhere else. Best of luck to you!
Back to top Go down
MP

PostSubject: Re: Joining the Army to be an MP   Joining the Army to be an MP EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 9:28 pm

You can join the Army as a MP right off there is no time in service requirement needed, its a entry level MOS if you qualify for it after you take the ASVAB then you can pick it min score is 95 last time I checked, but its been a while.

Basic and AIT are at the same place are are back to back its called OSUT at Fort Leonardwood, MO.

Don't expect to being doing police work 24/7 either. You will be deployed no matter what, MPs are one of the most deployed MOS's the Army has. You will either go to a BCT and be with a MP Platoon and do whatever the BDE wants you to do, or be apart of a MP Company in a MP Battalion and to though cycles of Admin, Field/train to deploy, and MP road duties. MP Company's while deployed can be expected to do almost anything, from training Iraqi/Afgan Police to Combat Patrols same goes for the BCT MP's.

We do have Law and Order Detachments, they mainly only let experienced MP's go to these units and ones that have 1 or 2 or more deployments under their belts. They have sections ie: SRT, MPI, TAI, K9/MWD, Physical Sec., MP Desk, and VRO. You get sent to the schools for those jobs and get the ASI's (special skills). These are the guys that do police work 24/7.
Back to top Go down
Chris268

PostSubject: Re: Joining the Army to be an MP   Joining the Army to be an MP EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Two of my friends were and are MP's, one is now a combat medic in the Army reserve. You can apply at an entry level to become one, as for the training I'm told it mirrors that of a civilian in a police academy. There are other things to consider like the mission of a soldier and what is required on a battlefield. Packers is right as well if you score high enough can pick the MOS you want and as for the basic and school its in the same place at least for MP's. It's the same for the infantry as well at least in the Army, I hear its different for the Marine corps. Now as for what your going to be doing as an MP in the Army thats not clear to me, I've heard they patrol and respond to calls and guard the gates with drug and bomb dogs. Other rumors I've heard is that its being handled by DOD civilian police department. Either way the Army is a great career in my opinion and I wish you the best of luck. I hope that I helped.
Back to top Go down
army MP

PostSubject: MP   Joining the Army to be an MP EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 9:54 pm

MP has it nailed down to the core, iv been an MP for three years in the reserves was stationed in germany for a bit and we covered road work doing what cops do in the streets and then came back to the states and did combat training, i believe the gt score has to be a 50 to get MP but idk if they have changed it over the years, your basic training and AIT is about 19 weeks long, make sure you are in good shape, being an MP requires you to be in the best shape of your life with as physically demanding it can be so do push ups sit ups at least a 4 mile run and you should be good to go on that, last i saw the army was really needing MPs to enlist,
Back to top Go down
BC

PostSubject: Re: Joining the Army to be an MP   Joining the Army to be an MP EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Great info!
Back to top Go down
Tom2012

PostSubject: Re: Joining the Army to be an MP   Joining the Army to be an MP EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Thank you guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joining the Army to be an MP   Joining the Army to be an MP Empty

Back to top Go down

Joining the Army to be an MP

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-