Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Need some advice!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kimhanwoul

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 2:41 am

Hello all! I'm kinda a newbie at this forum thing but I just needed some help.

A little about myself
So my name is Abraham Kim and I currently attend the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Right now I am trying to intern for the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department and the Sheriffs department here. Also just to clarify I am Senior and will be a Super Senior next year. I'm currently concentrated in Criminal Justice and pursuing a minor in Operations Management. I participated in Air Force ROTC which inspired me to pursue Criminal Justice and ultimately led me to become a Police Officer. Right now I am currently looking into working for the LAPD but I have no clue where to start also I have questions upon questions and need a mentor or some ppl that can coach me through all this. Right now my plan is to graduate move to LA and apply to the LAPD however I am more the open to any other Departments (currently looking at San Diego and the California Highway Patrol)

I really want to work for the LAPD because its simple, if I work as a police officer I want to work for the best of the best. I want the challenges that come with the job as well as the reward. I am CRAZY passionate about becoming a Police officer and maybe one day advance to become SWAT or a homicide detective or something. I don't know where life will take me, but all I know is that I have this instinctual feeling that if I work for LAPD or any other department in California then I know that I can look back on my life and smile and live with no regret. I understand that it will be hard work but if one prepares oneself for whats ahead with wisdom and passion then one will ALWAYS exceed. As my professor tells me "Never settle for anything but happiness"

So can anyone guide me on my journey?
Back to top Go down
B

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 1:58 pm

One thing I would tell you is to not move unless you have a place to stay and a job. Many people move to a new city for a particular job, and then never get it. Large departments sometimes have an application process specifically designed for out-of-state applicants. Out-of-state applicants can sometimes do all the required testing and interviews in 2 or 3 days.
Back to top Go down
Kimhanwoul

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 pm

haha thanks for the heads up but I already have a place to stay while I'm looking for what department I am wanting to work for. I have 3 relatives that offered to take me in for the time being. Is there an out of state application??? If so where can I find it also, I was wondering if I should work for CMPD here in Charlotte but I'm not too sure especially cause I know I can't transfer due to difference of state laws and stuff. I was wondering is it possible to apply to POST and THEN find a department I can work for??? Any advice for what I should do if I am an out of state resident?
Back to top Go down
B

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:02 pm

According to their website, the LAPD tests several times per week. Maybe it would be a good idea to go ahead and move to the area if you already have a place to stay. Just take whatever job you can until you get on with a PD.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Have you studied the LAPD website? All the information you need about becoming an officer with the LAPD is there. What specific questions do you have?
Back to top Go down
B

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 10:22 am

To join the Los Angeles police force, download the formal job listing as posted by the City of Los Angeles. In general, you will need to be prepared, do some studying and be honest and forthcoming. For in-depth detail on each step in the process and how to prepare for it, visit Prepare for the Tests and find the Police Department recruitment downloads section.

There are eight police officer description steps to the application process:

Step 1 - Preliminary Background Application (PBA) and Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ)
All applicants must complete the on-line, interactive Preliminary Background Application (PBA) and Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ). The online PBA will identify issues that you should resolve before beginning the selection process and will tell you if you have a realistic chance of success in the background investigation portion of the selection process. The online JPQ includes questions designed to help you better understand the nature of Police Officer work. Bring the printed results with you to the test site.

Step 2 - Personal Qualifications Essay (PQE)
The Personal Qualifications Essay (PQE) consists of essay questions related to judgement and decision making and behavioral flexibility. Your written communication skill will also be evaluated. The passing score that you receive will determine your placement on the eligible list. If you fail, you may retake the PQE after six months.

Step 3 - Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
The Physical Abilities Test (PAT) consists of two portions. The first portion is designed to measure strength, agility, and endurance. The second portion measures aerobic capacity and it will be administered usually at the time of the medical evaluation. It is a pass/fail test. Many applicants train for this test either by participating in the free Candidate Assistance Program offered by the LAPD or by training on their own. The physical fitness program at the Academy is intensely rigorous, and passing the Physical Abilities Test does not guarantee that you will be fit enough to pass the Academy Program. This is why most dedicated applicants will continue to train after the PAT, in preparation for the Academy. Candidates who fail the Law Enforcement Officer Physical Abilities Test (PAT) must complete a mock Physical Fitness Qualifications (PFQ) test during one of the Candidate Assistance Program (CAP) sessions. Failure to pass the PAT does not remove you from the eligible list. However, you will not be allowed to reschedule the PAT until you complete a mock PFQ. The mock PFQ is given at all three locations at the beginning of the month. Click here for a list of mock PFQ dates and locations.

Step 4 - Background Investigation
The Background Investigation begins with completion of a Personal History Form (which requires compilation of extensive biographical information), completion of additional questionnaires, fingerprinting, and an interview with a background investigator. If you meet the City's standards, a thorough background investigation will be conducted. It will include checks of employment, police, financial, education, and military records and interviews with family members, neighbors, supervisors, co-workers, and friends.

Step 5 - Polygraph
The Polygraph examination is conducted to confirm information obtained during your background interview.

Step 6 - Department Interview
The Department Interview will be conducted by a panel to assess your personal accomplishment, job motivation, continuous learning orientation, instrumentality, interpersonal skills, and oral communication skills. Only those candidates who are selected during this part of the process will move forward in the selection process. Beginning January 2010, candidates will be required to submit their Fitness Logs as part of the Department Interview,as it will be considered in their evaluation.

Step 7 - Medical Evaluation and Psychological Evaluation
The Medical Evaluation is thorough and it is essential that you be in excellent health with no conditions, which would restrict your ability to safely do police work. Written psychological tests and the second portion of the PAT will also be administered at this time. The medical evaluation also includes a Psychological Evaluation that consists of an individual oral interview and evaluation by a City psychologist on factors related to successful performance in the difficult and stressful job of Police Officer. The information evaluated includes the written psychological tests as well as the background findings.

Step 8 - Certification and Appointment
The Certification and Appointment / Pre-employment Substance Screening are the final steps in the selection process. To be considered for hiring, you must have successfully completed all steps in the selection process. When a candidate is appointed will depend on the next available class date, selection by LAPD management, and accordance with provisions of the Consent Decree.
Back to top Go down
Kim

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 12:04 pm

If you're a minority you have a good chance of getting hired Exclamation
Back to top Go down
SHAWN

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:27 pm

RIGHT ABOUT THE MINORITY THING. I DIDN"T GET HIRED, BUT MY GOOD FRIEND DID. I HONESTLY THINK IT WAS BECAUSE HE IS A MINORITY.
Back to top Go down
Kimhanwoul

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 12:38 am

First off,

Thank you everyone for being so supportive and being such great resources!

I guess I should start off by saying that I am a Male, Korean nationality, born and raised in the US (Durham, NC), 21, and heart SET and READY to become a police officer.

Being Korean is considered a minority in North Carolina but I know California has an AMPLE amount of Koreans so....are koreans still considered minorities there?? haha its a stupid question but I thought it would be relevant.

Also I have been researching the hell out of the LAPD website and can't figure for my life what I should do or where I should start. My plan was to graduate and then move out to LA with my aunt and apply and see if I would qualify and if I do not, I was going to pursue other departments around the area. Currently I am interning for the Sheriff's department here and hopefully the internship with the Charlotte Meck Police Department will follow through as well. But as of now I am currently seeking other departments just in case I cannot get into the LAPD. Any suggestions???

If anyone can it would be great if I could swap personal e-mail or perhaps a phone call??? If a phone call is possible that'd be great but due to privacy you can e-mail me at kimhanwoul@gmail.com if someone would be kind enough to contact me I'd be forever grateful.
Back to top Go down
B

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:59 pm

As far as where to start, it really is as simple as applying, doing the best that you can during the hiring process, and hoping to get hired. If you want to work for a department in California, and you have no problem moving there, then do it. As soon as possible, apply with the LAPD and any other department you like.
Back to top Go down
Kimhanwoul

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 3:33 am

Given my situation do I have a higher chance in getting accepted???
Back to top Go down
B

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:34 pm

Do you speak Korean? If so, that will be a plus. If you have a bachelors degree, no problems with you background, and can pass all the tests, I think you would have a good chance of getting hired.
Back to top Go down
Kimhanwoul

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Does anyone know what it means to be sponsored??? I have a cousin currently working in the police force in California and he said he could sponsor me but I have no clue what that means?
Back to top Go down
B

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Sometimes police academies require people to be sponsored by a department if they want to attend the academy. Maybe some academies allow people to be sponsored by individual officers. You normally don't have to be sponsored if you get hired by a large department. You don't have to be sponsored to become an officer with the LAPD. If they hire you, they send you to the academy.
Back to top Go down
Tyler

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Just apply with a big dept. and you don't have to worry about getting sponsored. Plus big depts. have more opportunities.
Back to top Go down
Kimhanwoul

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 am

Does it help to have connections inside the department? My cousin has alot of friends that word for LAPD and he said that they might be able to help me?
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 pm

If you're a good candidate, and the connections you have are well-liked and respectable, it surely can't hurt.
Back to top Go down
Miller

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:29 am

Jobs are hard to come by all over the place. The economy is bad. Sometimes you have to take a chance. If California is where you want to live then move there. I'd say you will have just as good a chance there as anywhere else. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need some advice!!! _
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice!!!   Need some advice!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need some advice!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-