Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Advice for a polygraph

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hockey99

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptySat May 07, 2011 2:47 pm

I am taking a polygraph examination next month.
Just wondering if anyone has any good advice?
I know that telling the truth on every single question
is a must and I will not pass if I lie even once.
But what about other advices?
What kind of questions could they ask?
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptySat May 07, 2011 4:00 pm

You could be asked any type of questions. Usually there aren't that many, and you will be told the questions before the test. They might ask you questions pertaining to theft and drug use and questions that address any areas of concern from your application or background investigation.
Back to top Go down
hockey99

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptySat May 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Well, I was told that the polygraph might take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.
I heard some weird questions might get asked.
So they have already conducted background investigation??
I filled out my personal history statement like a month ago....
Did they actually already do the background investigation?
Back to top Go down
Jenn

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:35 pm

They might have already finished or at least started your background. The polygraph examiner will interview you first and explain the test. This usually takes a lot more time than the test itself.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyMon May 09, 2011 5:57 pm

I took a polygraph test for a police job. I was completely honest but the examiner said that my test was "inconclusive" which wasn't good enough!
Back to top Go down
hockey99

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyTue May 10, 2011 3:02 am

So do they give you "polygraph results" on the spot?
How likely is it that I wll advance into the next stage
if I am completely honest and have no past experience
with drugs, no tickets, etc.???
I have done some some research and it turns out that
polygraph are not 100% correct sometimes meaning
I could be telling the truth but the polygraph might think
otherwise if I am nervous or something.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:17 am

They told me the results right after I took the test. I was given the opportunity to take it again. I took it again the next day and got another inconclusive result.
Back to top Go down
hockey99

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:48 pm

So after you took the polygraph for the 2nd time and they told you your
results are inconclusive did they let you take it again or did they tell
you that you are out of the process?
Back to top Go down
Atlanta

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyWed May 11, 2011 11:33 am

They said that I could come back at a later date to try one more time, but they said that the result probably wouldn't change. I got the feeling that I wasn't going to get hired so I withdrew my application.
Back to top Go down
hockey99

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Wow, that sucks. I wonder how many people get same
"inconclusive results"...
Back to top Go down
B

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyThu May 12, 2011 12:52 am

A lot of people get inconclusive results, and those people don't get hired. Inconclusive results can be due to nervousness, but it often the result of the applicant trying to beat the test. Try to be relaxed during the test, and make sure you are 100% honest.
Back to top Go down
FutureCop

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: :(   Advice for a polygraph EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm scared because I have smoked marijuana and experimented with drugs as a teenanger. I never been arrested in my life. IDK what to do during the polygraph test :/
Back to top Go down
BarrryT

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Don't be nervous, just be honest.
Back to top Go down
FutureCop

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 12:46 am

Thanks Barry Smile
Back to top Go down
SS

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 4:53 am

If you're taking a polygraph, you should have already disclosed anything about prior drug use. If it hasn't been a problem yet, then it won't be a problem during the polygraph if you are honest. The polygraph examiner will interview you first, and he should tell you what questions you'll be asked before you take the test.
Back to top Go down
MarkM

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 11:10 am

I took polygraph test for four different police departments. The first three said that my results were "inconclusive", and I didn't get hired. I passed with the fourth department. I answered all the questions honestly every time! Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Advice for a polygraph _
PostSubject: Re: Advice for a polygraph   Advice for a polygraph Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice for a polygraph

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-