Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Different standards for minorities

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cisco

Different standards for minorities _
PostSubject: Different standards for minorities   Different standards for minorities EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Can someone please explain why departments have different hiring standards for females and minorities? I have been applying at many different agencies for almost 2 years and have rejected by all of them.I find out later that a female or a minority applicant with a similar background and the same credentials and education got a position with the same department I was rejected from in fact I scored higher on all the tests in fact this person has even had a dirty UA while employed with another dept. Yet I get DQedfor experimenting with drugs as a teen over 20 years ago
Back to top Go down
TedK

PostSubject: Re: Different standards for minorities   Different standards for minorities EmptyWed May 11, 2011 7:44 pm

That is a bunch of crap. That's why so many depts. have discipline problems and PR problems. That's what happens when they don't hire the best qualified candidates!!!!
Back to top Go down
cisco

PostSubject: Different standards for minorities   Different standards for minorities EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Just to be clear on something in no form or fashion do I condone racisim but I am a firm believer in hiring the best person for the position. If this person had had equal or better scores or a better background I would not be posting this. Whether or not I ever get a position in LE is not the point I just want to know that I was passed up for a more qualified candidate not because the department has a PC agenda. This is the reason I am so discouraged in re applying anywhere since many departments in the area share the same hiring practices. The message they are sending IMO is that minorities are expected to have poor test scores and poor credit and a history of drug useor criminal activity so it's ok to make accomodations for them . but as a white male I am expected to have perfect credit, a college degree ,and a stellar past and anything less would portray me as a risky choice.
Back to top Go down
Peanut

PostSubject: Re: Different standards for minorities   Different standards for minorities EmptyFri May 13, 2011 5:29 pm

It is very offensive to most minorities lower standards because minorities can't score high enough!
Back to top Go down
Frank

PostSubject: Re: Different standards for minorities   Different standards for minorities EmptyFri May 13, 2011 7:22 pm

First of all, I would like to make it clear that I am NOT racist.
I am a white male in my mid 20's.
The truth of the matter is, being a white male poses a disadvantage and
makes it harder to get hired in most departments?
Why? Because departments are looking for a diverse set of individuals.
A few examples....
1. Departments might pick a hispanic individual instead of a white male
because a hispanic person is fluent in Spanish and can communicate
easier with the hispanic community.
2. Departments might pick a female instead of a white male because
a female can easier relate to female suspects/offenders and is needed
to pat down female suspects for guns/drugs, etc.
3. Departments might pick an african american individual instead of a
white male because he or she can easier relate to black community
that resides in the vicinity of the department.

MY POINT IS THAT there are more white males who apply to these
positions as opposed to any other race/ethnicity/gender.
If they just pick a bunch of white males for each departments then
these individuals might not possess the most diverse set of skills.

Is this fair? Maybe not, but that's the way it is and everyone just
has to deal with it.
Back to top Go down
Sal

PostSubject: Re: Different standards for minorities   Different standards for minorities EmptySun May 15, 2011 2:47 pm

"if they just pick a bunch of white males for each departments then
these individuals might not possess the most diverse set of skills."

But they might! Also diveristy isn't as important as aptitude and adaptability.

The solution is to hire minorities that are equally or more qualified than the white males. If you can't do that, you shouldn't hire minorities.
Back to top Go down
Frank

PostSubject: Re: Different standards for minorities   Different standards for minorities EmptyMon May 16, 2011 12:17 am

Sal, I absolutely agree with you, but unfortunately,
that's not how departments look at it.
It's unfair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different standards for minorities   Different standards for minorities Empty

Back to top Go down

Different standards for minorities

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-