Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Jail Guard or Security Guard?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WVU

Jail Guard or Security Guard? _
PostSubject: Jail Guard or Security Guard?   Jail Guard or Security Guard? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 11:18 am

I think I have a pretty good shot at getting a part-time jail guard job or a part-time unarmed security officer job with a well known company. Which one would look better on police officer job applications. I just graduated college, and there aren't really any police officer jobs open around here so I'm going to take something else for now. Hopefully I can become an officer. Neither job offers benefits. The jail guard job pays only a little more.
Back to top Go down
MattP

PostSubject: Re: Jail Guard or Security Guard?   Jail Guard or Security Guard? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Take the security officer job. Being a jail guard sucks! I was one for 4 years. It is not an easy job, and you deal with the worst of society on an everyday basis!
Back to top Go down
J

PostSubject: Re: Jail Guard or Security Guard?   Jail Guard or Security Guard? EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 3:58 pm

They security job would probably be way easier, but in my humble opinion, you would get better experience as a jail guard. It is a tough job though.
Back to top Go down
SR

PostSubject: Re: Jail Guard or Security Guard?   Jail Guard or Security Guard? EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 9:51 am

Take the jail job if you can handle it. You have to keep a good reputation if you do. If you get a bad rep as a guard, you'll have a hard time getting a police officer job down the road. I know a lot of guards that want to be police officers but haven't been hired due to their rep. Good luck Exclamation
Back to top Go down
PaulyT

PostSubject: Re: Jail Guard or Security Guard?   Jail Guard or Security Guard? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:36 am

Don't take the jail guard job. I was a correctional officer for three years. It sucked! I mean sucked bad! You'll get experience, but I don't think it is worth it. You have to put up with too much sh.t, and if you don't get support from your supervisors it is even worse. I respect COs, but I wouldn't try to persuade someone to become one!
Back to top Go down
Michelle

PostSubject: Re: Jail Guard or Security Guard?   Jail Guard or Security Guard? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:07 pm

I have much respect for jail guards. They provide a valuable service! My uncle was a jail guard for 20 years Very Happy
Back to top Go down
B

PostSubject: Re: Jail Guard or Security Guard?   Jail Guard or Security Guard? EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:29 pm

I think they both have the potential to look either good or bad. Choose the job you would rather do, and do a good job so you get a good recommendation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jail Guard or Security Guard?   Jail Guard or Security Guard? Empty

Back to top Go down

Jail Guard or Security Guard?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-