Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
psiegle

Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated _
PostSubject: Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated   Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:43 am

Hello,

In 2005 I was convicted of a misdemeanor for destruction of property. The original charge was felony maliciously setting fire to grass, tree, or wood line. It was reduced to a misdemeanor as part of a plea agreement. I served 15 days in jail on the weekends, and paid $500.00 in restitution.

Since this incident I have gone on to get my Bachelor's degree from a very well known school, albeit in History, and I have had not other legal issues aside from a couple of speeding tickets from many years ago. I have applied many places, and been turned down to all of them. Virtually all these places have just not hired me as opposed to disqualifying me, meaning that I can reapply, I just wasnt hired the first go around.

So here is my big question. I have considered going back to school to complete a degree in Criminal Justice or Homeland Security and Emergency Management. Will completing this degree push me over the top and probably get me a job? I only ask because I don't want to invest the time and money in getting another degree just to still not get a job.

All of this happened in Virginia, and that is where I am trying to work, in case that matters. Thank you to all who respond, and I would especially appreciate answers from actual officers or people in human resources.

V/R,
psiegle
Back to top Go down
ChiefDPD

PostSubject: Re: Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated   Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:26 am

It could help. Are you thinking about getting a master's degree? That's what you should work on. Do you know why you aren't being hired? It could be your misdemeanor conviction. 2005 wasn't really that long ago. It could also be that you aren't doing as good as your competition on tests and on the oral boards if you've gotten that far. There's a lot of people that get veteran points taking police tests. It could be a combination of factors causing you to not get hired. Getting more education can only help, but it still won't guarantee you a job. I wouldn't think of getting more education as a waste. Even if you still don't get a police officer job, there are security and emergency management type jobs that you would be more qualified for.
Back to top Go down
psiegle

PostSubject: Re: Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated   Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks Chief. I am not getting hired because they are choosing people with no background issues. I have a steady but unimpressive work history as well. What I mean by that is I have worked continually at a job, but it is a restaurant. It has been hard to find a good job with the economy and all. But I have been acing all the tests, and my interviews tend to go well. I think it is mainly my background issue, and my work history needing to show something a little more professional. I just hope that if I begin working a more respectable looking job while working on my masters, that I could eventually get a job somewere.
Back to top Go down
ChiefDPD

PostSubject: Re: Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated   Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:13 pm

There's nothing wrong with working in a restaurant. Keep your job references favorable. Continue your education.
Back to top Go down
AA

PostSubject: Re: Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated   Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Your conviction can hurt your chances BIG TIME but don't give up!
Back to top Go down
TeddyBee

PostSubject: Re: Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated   Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 1:19 pm

I would get your master's in something more marketable. What about something computer related or business Question A criminal justice degree won't help you any more than most other degrees and other degrees provide more options Smile
Back to top Go down
noboysco

PostSubject: Re: Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated   Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 10:09 pm

I have less than that on my background and it was from a lot longer ago then 2005 I couldn't get hired . The college degree may help you but as was mentioned earlier I would try to get a degree in something besides CJ. It may be possible to get a LEO position somewhere but as long as they have applicants with all of the above, minus the criminal background, it will be tough. I know of someone who was turned down by the same department 6 times before he was finally hired. He continued to re apply every time he became eligible. Not sure what was different the 7th time but they finally hired him. Good luck....
Back to top Go down
Tara

PostSubject: Re: Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated   Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:57 am

Yeah, departments can be really picky. I know people that have tried to get hired with several departments!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated   Need opinions on my hiring chances.  Current officers input appreciated Empty

Back to top Go down

Need opinions on my hiring chances. Current officers input appreciated

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-