Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Would It Be A Waste of My Education?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cincy85

Would It Be A Waste of My Education? _
PostSubject: Would It Be A Waste of My Education?   Would It Be A Waste of My Education? EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Before I ask my question I wanted to provide a little background on myself. I earned my undergraduate degree in finance and banking and after working for a year in the financial services industry I decided a career in finance was not for me. I recently returned to school and earned my masters in information systems because I've always had a passion for technology. I'm about sixth months into my current job and am starting to have doubts about this career path as well. It's not that I hate what I'm doing but I'm seriously wondering if I'm just not the type of person that belongs behind a desk for 8-10 hours a day.

My grandpa was a sheriff and I've always been interested in law enforcement but have never really considered it seriously as a career. However, one day I was sitting at work and I could not get the thought out of my mind and have been wondering if I should try to pursue this as a career. I've also participated in athletics my entire life and was a collegiate athlete.

My question is, if I did decide to pursue a career in law enforcement, would earning my master's information systems be all for nothing? Would I be able to leverage both my undergraduate and graduate degree to my advantage or would they not matter since they're not relevant to law enforcement? Any comments or insights would be appreciated! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MAC10

PostSubject: Re: Would It Be A Waste of My Education?   Would It Be A Waste of My Education? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 9:07 pm

Your skills and knowledge could really be an asset to a law enforcement organization. Have you thought about looking into federal law enforcement? i.e. IRS or FBI. Having skills and knowledge about banking and computers can make you an attractive candidate. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
SSG

PostSubject: Re: Would It Be A Waste of My Education?   Would It Be A Waste of My Education? EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 am

IT WOULD NOT BE A WASTE.
Back to top Go down
T.

PostSubject: Re: Would It Be A Waste of My Education?   Would It Be A Waste of My Education? EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 11:56 am

Yeah. I have a BS in information systems. It has helped me tremendously during my career as an officer.
Back to top Go down
Cincy85

PostSubject: Re: Would It Be A Waste of My Education?   Would It Be A Waste of My Education? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:51 am

Could you give me an example of how you have used your degree in Information Systems during your career as a police officer? And would their be any additional benefits of having a master's degree if it's not in Crimminal Justice?
Back to top Go down
T.

PostSubject: Re: Would It Be A Waste of My Education?   Would It Be A Waste of My Education? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 11:04 am

Computers are everywhere and used by practically everyone. My education has helped me investigate computer crimes and many other cases.
Back to top Go down
CSI

PostSubject: Re: Would It Be A Waste of My Education?   Would It Be A Waste of My Education? EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 11:48 am

Many police departments would love to have you on their roster!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would It Be A Waste of My Education?   Would It Be A Waste of My Education? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would It Be A Waste of My Education?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-