Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RP

Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? _
PostSubject: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Hey everybody. So I am 19, currently a sophomore with a Criminal Justice degree at the University of Maryland (ranked #1 in Criminal Justice/Criminology programs in the US). I have a good GPA (3.25), four former employers that can give solid testimony to my employment, I was a two sport captain in high school, I'm physically fit, and I feel that I am an all-around honorable person with good morals and a clear conscience.

My main concern is my past use of marijuana/underage drinking. I smoked a lot from the ages of 16-19 (end of this past summer), like probably hundreds of times. I realized that my actions will have a clear affect on my chances of finding a job in LE after college, that is why I decided to quit smoking two months ago. I realize this isnt a long time, but upon staying clean in college I will have not used drugs for three years upon graduation.

Also, I am in college and do partake in underage drinking quite often, as do most people. How serious of an effect will this have during the application process? I feel like everybody does it (although that doesnt excuse me for committing an illegal act).

I feel that I could prove to be an effective and efficient police officer based on my moral disposition, my physical fitness, and a strong drive to be successful. BUT, will my mistakes of smoking marijuana and underage drinking completely disqualify me?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Back to top Go down
StarW

PostSubject: Re: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 12:59 pm

You likely won't get hired by any decent police department for at least three years because of the weed. The underage drinking won't be that big of a deal but I wouldn't do that anymore either.
Back to top Go down
TJ

PostSubject: Re: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 10:43 am

You could still get a job with some departments eventually.
Back to top Go down
Lt.

PostSubject: Re: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 12:34 pm

My department would not hire you.
Back to top Go down
Tony44

PostSubject: Re: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:56 pm

You still have a chance. Quit smoking. Quit drinking until you're 21. Good luck Exclamation
Back to top Go down
AndyT.

PostSubject: Re: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Talk with officers and maybe even the chief of the university police force. See if you can get a job with them as an assistant or intern.
Back to top Go down
MarioS.

PostSubject: Re: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 7:24 pm

Stay away from the weed, and you could get hired in a few years.
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:31 am

You might be able to get hired by some small department somewhere or by department where you have some connections. Aside from that, I don't think you'll be able to get hired very easily. Might as well try though Exclamation
Back to top Go down
MC

PostSubject: Re: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Yes, you might as well try, but for a big police department you could be competing with hundreds of others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?   Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will my past mistakes DQ me from getting a job as a LEO?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-