Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Lawyer to Cop?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MRyan746

Lawyer to Cop? _
PostSubject: Lawyer to Cop?   Lawyer to Cop? EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi All,

Im a 28 year old male in California who graduated law school 2 years ago and have been working in a small trusts and estates firm since.

Unfortunately (or maybe not), I've come to realize that the law life just isnt for me. The work is monotonous and boring (alot of the time), and I just can't see myself do this line of work for 30+ years.

On top of that, the hours are long (8am-630pm), Im pulled in on weekends occasionally, and I dread waking up in the morning.

Both my parents were SFPD, and while growing up, a large part of me always wanted to be a police officer. My mom quickly shot down that idea whenever I mentioned it, tell me she wanted me to work a "white collar job" unlike her and to "not get shot." Instead of going with my gut, I followed my moms advice and chose the law path.

While I know the hours of a police officer can be brutal, and I could make more money as a lawyer, I think Id be happier on the force. At 28 and looking to get married and start a family in the next couple years, Ive realized spending time with my family would be more important than any big time lawyer salary. Besides, California police officer salaries are pretty comfortable.

Id appreciate any advice you guys have. Would I be an absolute moron to go down this path? How is the work/life balance? Does it improve with seniority?

Im hesitant to quit my job now, go through the Academy, and not have a job "locked in.". With a clean background, do you guys think Id have a tough time finding a position in this current job market (California specifically)?

Thanks for your guys' thoughts and assistance.
Back to top Go down
CL

Lawyer to Cop? _
PostSubject: Re: Lawyer to Cop?   Lawyer to Cop? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Why not try becoming an assistant DA?
Back to top Go down
Boat1

Lawyer to Cop? _
PostSubject: Re: Lawyer to Cop?   Lawyer to Cop? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Give being a police officer a try.  If you don't like it, go back to practicing law full-time.  You have to enjoy what you do.
Back to top Go down
Boat1

Lawyer to Cop? _
PostSubject: Re: Lawyer to Cop?   Lawyer to Cop? EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 5:48 pm

I think you'd have a good shot at getting a job. You have a good education, and your background is clean. You should be able to score high on tests. Give it a try!
Back to top Go down
TIG

Lawyer to Cop? _
PostSubject: Re: Lawyer to Cop?   Lawyer to Cop? EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Don't quit your job until you get an offer with an agency. Apply with one or two big departments such as the state police or a big city department.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lawyer to Cop? _
PostSubject: Re: Lawyer to Cop?   Lawyer to Cop? Empty

Back to top Go down

Lawyer to Cop?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-