Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Question on requirement involving drug use

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OrlandoM93

Question on requirement involving drug use _
PostSubject: Question on requirement involving drug use   Question on requirement involving drug use EmptyThu Dec 11, 2008 9:21 pm

I have seen a few post's about this subject and have a great idea of what to know but would like an opinion on my situation.

I am currently starting school this January for a Criminal Justice degree majoring in Law Enforcement. I recently applied for the position of 911 Operator at a local department and was declined for Drug Usage. I understand prior drug usage is looked down upon heavily. I smoked marijuana once on very rare occasions throughout my high school years and a little while past then. I have also tried cocaine two times in my life, which both times were a very small amount, not that this matter I'm sure. I can list my drug usage in the following.

Last time I smoked marijuana was February 2008

The dates I used cocaine were June 2005 and June 2007

I understand this is fairly recent but all of this was done when I was young and stupid. Everyone comes around eventually, just some take longer than others. I am 21 years old and am just starting college for my 2 year degree in Criminal Justice. I do not surround myself with any negative people, have a very devoted girlfriend I'm proposing to in December and just want to start my life and take care of my family doing something I will love to do.

My question is if I go to school for the next two years, get my degree and do what I have to do, will this be enough time to have proven I am fit for the job?

Thank you very much for your help.
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   Question on requirement involving drug use EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 11:33 am

You can still become a police officer with many departments. However, you might have to wait a bit more than another two years for many departments. But don't worry, you are still young. But you MUST make good decisions from now on. Consider completing a four year degree. That would not only make you a better candidate, but also put some more time between your recent drug use and when you apply for jobs. Good luck! Stay focused.
Back to top Go down
OrlandoM93

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   Question on requirement involving drug use EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Thank you very much for the quick reply and great advice. I understand this drug use has been fairly recent but to me it's almost ridiculous because I've never really touched the stuff hardly and one or two nights ruin a great opportunity for a few years. I plan on obtaining my degree then going to law school eventually actually. This doesn't discourage me too much because I know I've made mistakes and know 100% I will never touch anything again. Our own Presidential Elect has said he has expierimented with drug's when he was young, so if he can get that job, I have faith in myself. Thank you for the great advice and look forward to the future.
Back to top Go down
Badge101

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   Question on requirement involving drug use EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Sounds like you have the right attitude! Good luck! Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
Ken

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   Question on requirement involving drug use EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Stay off the drugs!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   Question on requirement involving drug use Empty

Back to top Go down

Question on requirement involving drug use

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-