Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigMike

Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? _
PostSubject: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 1:12 am

I really want to become a police officer, but I have kinda bad credit. Can I still become a police officer?
Back to top Go down
Badge101

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 1:41 am

Having good credit can be very important when trying to get a police officer job. Having bad credit often indicates irresponsibility. Police departments also worry that if you have bad credit and/or a lot of debt, you may be more likely to accept bribes, etc. There are ways that you can improve your credit. Visit http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com/credit.html for some simple ways to improve your credit and make it easier for you to become a police officer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 5:30 am

Do what you can to fix your credit. It could cause you to not be hired Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Michelle

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptySun Dec 28, 2008 11:28 pm

It depends. But you probably can if you want to bad enough! Smile
Back to top Go down
Realtor670

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 4:25 am

There actually are people who work for a living in helping people repair their credit. They will check into everything for you, and they sometimes find collections and negative history that isn't accurate that they can clear for you.

They find out what you owe, come up with a plan to get your credit back into shape on payments you can afford, and can even work with creditors to help lower your interest rates if you can agree to make the minimum payments. Don't let your credit worry you if you plan to have it cleaned up by the time you apply, because it is possible to clean it up.

I know somebody who used to have like a 350 credit score and is now around 600.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 12:55 am

That's right. But you can do many of the same things that a professional can do to try to improve your credit. If you do seek someone else's help, just make sure that they are legitimate and reputable.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 10:12 pm

Work on not letting your credit get any worse. Pay down your debt as much as possible. Check your credit reports frequently. Be patient. Good luck to you Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Allycat

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 9:05 pm

My cousin just got turned down by a PD because his credit is really bad. They told him to wait a couple years, and apply again.
Back to top Go down
BigMike

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 1:05 am

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.
Back to top Go down
Ron22

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 pm

I had bad credit. I was turned down for a police job because of it. I did everything that I could for the next 2 years to improve my credit and whatever else I could to make me a better applicant. I was hired by another department shortly thereafter. Work hard, and you can overcome your credit problem! Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
4Ken

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 2:57 pm

My brother was turned down by 2 police departments about a year ago because he had bad credit. I'm assuming he improved it because he just got hired by a different department 3 weeks ago. Smile
Back to top Go down
Wickwire

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 2:47 pm

You probably can, but as others have indicated, do what you can to improve your situation!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?   Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can I still become a police officer if my credit isn't very good?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-