Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

setting yourself apart?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
zhai

setting yourself apart? _
PostSubject: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 2:23 am

Hi everybody,

I read some of the posts on the forum and some people said to set yourself apart from other candidates applying for a police officer. I was wondering, in what way can set yourself apart? Is it like knowing a second language? I just need some clarification~

Thanks~

Zhai
Back to top Go down
Realtor670

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 3:09 am

I would think maybe by being a volunteer in some public service type of work.

Maybe learning a foreign language. Martial Arts black belt.

I myself am going to serve a mission for my chruch, LDS religion, and I will probably be fluent in Spanish among other special skills by the time I apply.

Find a special skill.
Back to top Go down
zhai

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 3:28 am

oh ok, yeah public services. that makes sense. thanks~

so do you think knowing a second language is a big asset? or just a small boost in the midst of everything?
Back to top Go down
Realtor670

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 3:56 am

Well it depends.

I am not a cop myself and won't be for awhile, but I would think depending on the area it could.
A lot of agencies could be worried about people being able to get off because they were read their miranda right in english when they don't understand english, because it's a violation of Civil Rights. I don't know a whole lot about that nonsense though.

The point is there will be times when you can use the language if it is popular in that area, and other applicants might not
Learn spanish if you learn anything. It can be useful with other careers if you change your mind about LE.

Maybe look into the Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America program, then you can put on your resume that you donated your own time to help a child succeed in life.
Back to top Go down
WOLF

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 4:20 am

Being fluent in two languages is usually a huge asset. Especially if there are many others in the area you want to work that speak both languages. Realtor670 is right about volunteer work. Volunteer work looks very good on a resume, and can make you not only a better candidate, but also a better person.
Back to top Go down
zhai

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 4:21 am

i see bounce

thanks alot, do you suppose its hard to become a FBI police officer? not the special agent but the regular police?
Back to top Go down
WOLF

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 4:27 am

Becoming an FBI Police Officer is probably easier than becoming an FBI Agent. But, it is probably still not easy. From what I know, being an FBI Police Officer is a pretty good gig, and they don't have a lack of applicants. Speaking a second language should give you an edge with them.
Back to top Go down
zhai

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 4:30 am

great~ that helps alot. i havent finished college yet, but im getting all worked up and worried about career choices and stuff...and it seems like a good job, not just the pay but like helping people and making a difference you know?
Back to top Go down
CPLJason

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 6:51 am

Try to do an internship with a law enforcement agency while you're in college. That would also look good.
Back to top Go down
zhai

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 8:49 am

yeah ive thought about that. do police stations and whatnot hire people younger than 21 for part time jobs? like if i were to work during the summer, would i be able to get a job as a police...or would it be more realistic to work security at a local mall or something.
Back to top Go down
Badge101

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:47 am

I would try to get a security job until you are 21 and until you get your degree. Good luck! Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: setting yourself apart?   setting yourself apart? Empty

Back to top Go down

setting yourself apart?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-