Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mkvboston

Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department _
PostSubject: Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department   Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 9:57 pm

What is the difference between these 2 departments? Is it easier to get in the sheriffs department then the state/local department. I am a 22 year old male, with no criminal history, graduated with a bachelors degree in sociology and criminal law. I smoked marijuana once 4 years ago as I was drunk and I was curious. What are my chances? Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Lt

PostSubject: Re: Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department   Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department EmptyWed Dec 31, 2008 11:06 pm

One is not necessarily any easier to get in than another. Each department has its own requirements, etc. Often times, state police agencies have more applicants to choose from than sheriff's departments or local police departments. From the information you provided, I would think that you have a very good chance of being hired by a department at some point.
Back to top Go down
Celtics

PostSubject: Re: Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department   Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Lt is correct. Which one is harder to get hired with at any given time depends. You sound like a good candidate. Give it a try. Apply for all three. Sheriff's have countywide jurisdiction, state police have statewide jurisdiction, and local police have local jurisdiciton. Basketball
Back to top Go down
SWAT

PostSubject: Re: Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department   Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 7:55 pm

The larger the dept., the more promotion potential there usually is!
Back to top Go down
Cap

PostSubject: Re: Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department   Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 10:52 am

Unless things have changed in the hiring process, once you have passed all your testing and oral meetings, city departments hire you by how you scored. The higher your total score the higher you’re on the hiring list. Cities must hire from the top of the list to the bottom or until everyone is hire or the list expires.

The Sheriff Department you still need to pass everything, BUT the Sheriff chooses who he/she wants to hire from the list. You could be at the bottom of the list and get hired first by the sheriff.

State Police I have no idea, I would guess the same way the cities departments handle the list.
Back to top Go down
4Ken

PostSubject: Re: Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department   Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 2:49 pm

I think it is often more difficult to get hired by a state police agency Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Cap

PostSubject: Re: Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department   Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 9:18 am

I agree becoming a State Trooper (Illinois) is a harder origination to get into. One thing that turned me away from them years ago was their crazy Physical Agility test! I read that you must be able to leap to your feet from a kneeling position on command! Suspect Sorry I couldn't do that one! L lol!
Back to top Go down
4Ken

PostSubject: Re: Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department   Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 8:45 pm

I imagine state agencies get more applicants than most local departments making the hiring process for state agencies often more competitive Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department   Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department Empty

Back to top Go down

Sheriff's Department v. State & Local Police Department

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-